Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

When you cut the front flange off a stainless steel bowl, you’ll get no seal against water and crud penetration:

This is going to cause the external steel angle rod to rust:

Which is going to expand and blow out the front edge lamination:

The failed rod is visible as the pink polyester on the right side of this picture. I took the cabinet front off, it was just hanging there anyway. The seam to the immediate right of the sink looks like this:

I had to drive the seam apart to wrestle all the old crap out of the seam:

This was one of the old-school “arrissed” seams. In other words, the edges are knocked off. Old school seams require old school clamping. Hot melt blocks and “C” clamps:

Real old school edge clamping along with bowl clamps:

I shoulda had more and better clamps, but the edges turned out as good as the existing originals. Finished seam close up:

Finito:

Yeah, that’s a new sink. $750.00 Blanco. Same as mine. I didn’t have a welder handy to reattach the flange. I found it in stock within 25 miles with my new Evo phone which provided all these pictures. I charged him for drive time for pick-up too. Thirteen hours total, drive time (two and a half there and back, two sink pick-up) included.

Joe

Chris Yaughn

Looks good Joe,

That is a lot of work going into a Baltic Brown top.  Plus a Premium sink.  

Was the Blanco flange smaller and fit, or did they cut the other for no reason (or more likely slvaged from another job)?  Or did you notch the face frame?

Posted By Chris Yaughn on 30 Oct 2010 10:11 PM

Looks good Joe,

That is a lot of work going into a Baltic Brown top.  Plus a Premium sink.  

Was the Blanco flange smaller and fit, or did they cut the other for no reason (or more likely slvaged from another job)?  Or did you notch the face frame?

Chris:

I get to this job and I’m like WTF? The edges are blown at the lamination in front of the sink and the cabinet face is falling off. The blown edges will not budge. I told the homeowner I’m diving in and gonna find out what’s goin’ on.

I pull the cabinet front and disconnect the plumbing. When I pull the sink and see the ravaged flange and rusted external rod, it all became obvious.

I have no idea why these morons clipped the flange. They even cut a rabet into the bottom of the top to accommodate it. I’ll bet the installers couldn’t get the sink to fit with the rod in place so they just hacked the flange off.

I notched nothing. I siliconed the new sink in place, clamped it and relaminated the front edge over the flange without altering a thing. Except I didn’t install a rod.

I hope that answers your question, if not fire away.

Joe

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I can’t believe the flange could be cut off without discoloring the rest of the metal. How the hell do you cut stainless anyway. Good looking repair though.

Posted By Andy Graves on 02 Nov 2010 03:23 PM
    I can’t believe the flange could be cut off without discoloring the rest of the metal. How the hell do you cut stainless anyway. Good looking repair though.

I have had a couple of customers provide their own stainless sink for undermounting.  What they bought was a drop in sink but they wanted it undermounted.  Drop in sinks usually have a bit of a bumped up flange.  Really doesn’t lend itself to undermounting…..   I use a dry cut diamond blade on the table saw and cut the flange off and file the bure off of the edge.  Makes for a flat flange for mounting.

Disconnect your dust collector and watch for smoke coming from under the saw.  If you have been cutting any wood, there is a chance that the sparks couldl ignite a fire.

Johnny C

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.