Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

well i made it and didnt even use the stairs…first of all there was two sets of stairs..made it up the first set with the two omni cube carts and muscle that im glad i still had some left…then I used a air conditioner lift to hoist the slab up the level and rolled it on with a half hour of grunting…I was scared because it was one of vetrazzo rare mixes Millenfiori…got it done and having fun
    cant wait til the show in a few weeks….oh yeah

here is the second set of pics…the heck with the stairs

Chris Yaughn

NICE

Man I hate stairs.

Gene:

If that island was about 48″x99″ and if Vetrazzo weighs 15lbs. per square foot in 3cm like Zodiaq, minus the sink cut-out that piece weighed about 420lbs.

I probably would have clamped a 2×4 protective shoe to the bottom and a 16′ 2×6 to the top and marched it up the stairs with two guys on each end, saving the cost of the rollers and the air conditioning lift rental. That’s 105lbs. per guy, which seems doable.

Hey, it worked for you and that’s what counts.

I’m assuming the balustrade hadn’t been installed yet.

Joe

Joe..the omni cubes are one of my favorite slab movers…i love them..anyway i dont know about the math but the slab seemed heavier than four hundredlbs

the first set of stairs…we did do that..except it was me and my potbelly acting as two guys on one endthe carts are actually doing the purpose of the 2×4 thing…but the second set of stairs was the problem..they are hugging the wall and turn with the distance i need to move that slab up..it didnt fit in the elevator either…plus when ever you do math about 420 divided by 4 equals 100 per person..it never seems to work out for me..now ya have four legs crossing in an upward motion, some arms are actually longer than others…i got a sober beer belly in the way of the other guys arms…the rental is under a hundred a day….cheaper than a helper…i got it up faster than the carry up
    and it went great

did i mention that if that slab cracked for any reason..i might not be able to get one til next december when they pour that mix?????

fear was in the peice not the muscle

these stairs no problem can do myself when thinking about the check

these stairs AAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHtoo many turns and banisters and finshed oak that I was at least able to remove the banisters for the delivery

but as usual Joe…thanks for the other option you suggested, I always welcome advice to make me a better guy in this trade..so thanx again

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting this Gene.  This would be a great set of pictures for your website to show the process and the extent you will go to get it done without damaging the customers home.

Just a suggestion, try to get some pictures of the completed home by professional photographer.  It would really complete the series of pictures well.

How long did it take from the moment you pulled into the driveway til the time it was set and finished?

I want to say no more than 3 hours…I rented also a uhaul with the ramp thinking I can set it up to the top of the stairs…and roll the slab up but they lock them down now cause of aluminum thieves 
    the 3 hour time includes sealing another coat and siliconing down around the sink and three faucet holes…and also catching my fat ass breath

the lift was just as heavy getting up to the first landing and yes I am waiting for the pictures..that lift is the greatest I used that in lots of artsy exhibit applications for ceiling mounting stuff
    …i was so scared because I realized if that piece broke or i couldnt get it up to the second floor…it would hurt my walletI them might hafta bring peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to the show to cut costs

I already posted them on my site..the pressure was on do to the color…I will have great pics from a photo professional dude soon…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.