Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

After doing the last 4 shows we are taking a break from the IWF, won’t be there as an exhibitor or spectator. I know quite a few large machinery companies who won’t be there either. That show is getting out of hand and I think some of the huge machinery dealers are having their way with the show hours. 8-6 is a long long day for small companies like ours. We get up around 5:30 just to get breakfast without waiting in long lines, then we have to get there and open up our booth. By the time 6:00 rolls around we are beat, just barely enough energy to go to cocktail half hour.
    This year they have gone too far. The last day of the show is also 8-6. I don’t care if it is on a Saturday, it will still be a ghost town. Anybody showing up for just Saturday will most likely be local, and also be a basement hobbyist. Last show the last day had almost completely empty isles and we had to stay. They have rules against breaking down early too. You can loose your priority and seniority points for doing that.
    Done venting.
    Also, Susan and I would miss two racing events, gotta get our priorities straight. Drop $20K for the show with little chance for a return, or buy a tank of gas each? It’s a no brainer.

Steve:

If you can’t beat ’em join ’em, I say.

You need to hire some help. I know a guy in Michigan who, if you fly him to the show, pay all his expenses and fly him back, will work for minimum wage to help staff the booth.

This guy has extensive experience with your products and is a big fan of you and your wife.

Let me know,

Joe

KCWOOD

Steve….

This will be the first time in 10 shows I have not gone… gas price, hotel cost ect…..   I did have a second thought though… went to the site to book a room and every hotel had availability… last time most was booked 3 months before the show. I will assume the attendance will be way down.   Not going though 🙁

I guess all the shows are tahing a hit this year>>>>

Kc

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I used to go when it was in Anaheim but not anymore.

Miles Crowe

Anybody coming has an open invitation to my shop. I’m about 30 miles north of downtown.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Thanks Miles.  That is mighty kind of you.  I can’t make it but I would love to see some pictures of your shop if you don’t mind postin them.

Miles Crowe

Andy,

I am technologically challenged. I have tried to post pics on another site, and just can’t seam to work it out. Any suggestions?

I do have a few pics on my website now. I, of course, had nothing to do with that.

Randy Evans

Miles, create a free account at http://www.photobucket.com. It’ll walk you through “uploading” your photos on your computer to your photobucket account. Then, you can just “copy and paste” the html info for each photo into a post.

It’s easier than it sounds….try it, and if you have a problem let me know!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The “Message Attachment” section under the text box is the place for pictures.  Just click on the browse button and select the picture.  The only way it will not upload is if the file is too large.

You can also use the PhotoBucket idea as well.

Miles Crowe

Thanks guys, will try tomorrow when I get to the shop.

Miles Crowe

FYI- I went to the IWF yesterday to see some friends with Northwood Machines. I was told that pre-registration was off by 45% from two years ago. Just in case you wanted to know. The show was as big as ever. The guys at Northwood said the attendence was low, but those who attended were buyers. I think they always say that.

On another note. I was fortunate enough to meet a fabnet member there. His name is Mike G. Great to meet you and your wife Mike. Hope you get a chance to come by my shop.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster
    Posted By miles on 08/22/2008 8:19 PM
    FYI- I went to the IWF yesterday to see some friends with Northwood Machines. I was told that pre-registration was off by 45% from two years ago. Just in case you wanted to know. The show was as big as ever. The guys at Northwood said the attendence was low, but those who attended were buyers. I think they always say that.

On another note. I was fortunate enough to meet a fabnet member there. His name is Mike G. Great to meet you and your wife Mike. Hope you get a chance to come by my shop.

If you saw Mike G, did you also meet Kevin from Surface Fabrication Magazine?  They did a presentation together.

Miles Crowe

Andy,

I was only there for about 3 1/2 hours and spent most of that time in the Northwood booth. I did not see Mike and Kevin’s presentation, though I wish I had. I don’t know much about wood machines and I kind of get mesmerized when I go down there. I should have planned ahead and asked for a little advice on what to see. It’s an unbelievable show when you compare it to Stone Expo. It’s got to be at least 5 times bigger. Maybe more than that.

Just got back from IWF, Miles it was great to meet you, next time I’m in Atlanta I’ll take you up on that offer to visit, If you get to FL stop in. As Miles said the show attendence seemed to be down, based on size of the crowds, but from what I saw “the negotiation tables” were crowded. I was there all day Wed, Thur, and Fri. and Thur. seemed to be the most crowded. Back to the grindstone on Mon

Kevin Cole

I was at IWF and I want to issue a public thanks to Mike Gladstone for being part of my seminar on woodworkers and surfaces. Mike was a great guy to work with and I’m very thankful for the help.

I also want to thank Bill Wolle for also being part of the seminar. He is a great speaker and quite knowledgable, just like Mike.

Unfortunately I didn’t see your invite in advance, Miles or I might have took you up on the offer. I will be back in Atlanta next year for the K/BIS show (I think), maybe I can take you up on the offer then?

Once again, thanks Mike and Bill. I couldn’t have done it without you.

Best,

Kevin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.