Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nick Marvich

I am a hobbyist builder, and I am constructing a custom desk with Formica Radiance Laminate.  Where can I buy sheets of this brand and model of Formica, big box retailers dont seem to sell sheets as far as I know, or will they order it for you?

Typically, any kitchen dealer can order it for you.  Also, Lowes can also special order any laminate product you require.

Brian Stone

The big box stores should be able to order a sheet of laminate for you. I would suggest just calling local counter top fabricators first though. You’ll probably get a better price and better service.

Tom M

You’ll certainly get better information.

Remember, laminate is one of the most unforgiving materials to work with for countertops or worktops. Talk to a fabricator before you take the plunge.

The Radiance collection does have some stunners, though, in the looks department.

Were are you from?

Megy

I live in Baltimore, MD. This will be my first attempt using laminate. Can I trim it with a regular router or does it need an actual laminate router, if so what kind of bit should I use.?

Tom M

There are laminate routers and laminate router bits that are used in regular routers. A flush trim bit, or a pilot panel bit are examples of laminate bits that have many other uses as well, but a laminate trimmer (or, more properly – a veneer trimmer) are routers that are set up for laminate or other veneer work.

There is nowhere near enough space here to instruct you on proper lamination techniques and I won’t try, but to give you an idea of what you need to have on hand are: Router with either a flush bearing, a pilot bit or a straight bit with an over sized bearing (1/2″ bearing for a 3/8″ bit, for example), a mill bastard file, 12″ or 14″ likely, a belt sander with somewhere in the vicinity of a 40 grit belt, contact adhesive and a method of applying it to both surfaces, a trim router (not necessary, but highly recommended), solvent to clean up, a good substrate, and, if this is your first time, at least one extra amount of laminate for you will screw up the first one. Will you want to radius the corners? You’ll then need a torch or a commercial heat gun and at least two times the edging you think will work.

It will be easy to over sand the edging on the substrate, which will make the top adhere badly. It will be easy to over file and show the root of the color paper at the edge join between the vertical and horizontal materials. Etc., etc., etc.

I’m not saying don’t do it. I’m saying it is a difficult thing t o do right the first time, but is rewarding as heck when you have a job well done.

KCWOOD

this guy could have better sucess fabricating  Solid Surface

Dave Brandt

thanks for the vote of confidence, but its not rocket science. Yep its probably not going to be perfect the first time, but so far every project i have taken on has turned out just fine

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I guess doing it twice will still be less than having someone do it for you. Good luck with the project. If you think of it, post some pictures of the project here on the FabNet.

If you don’t know how to post the pictures, send them to andy@thefabricatornetwork.com and I will post them for you.

Kiran Shetty

thanks i definitely will

Tom M

Seriously, good luck. It can be a very rewarding experience when you are finished.

Lenny E

Yard Sales.

I was at a yard sale the other day and lo and behold some sheets of Formica Laminate were there. I passed on the offerring, but had to laugh.

I would have never thought Id be posting “yard sales” as a reply to this post.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.