Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

So how do you know when it is time to change the router bit in the cnc. When cutting by hand you can feel when it is getting really dull.

Can you have those spiral bits sharpened or just toss um.

Sometimes we watch for the quality of the cut, i.e. chatter, or slight chipping. But most of the time we listen for the pitch of the spindle. After a while you can tell when more stress is being put on the spindle. Our 1/4″ bits most of the time get run til they break. The others wont so we listen and send them out to get re-sharpened. Our larger diameter and profile bits are diamond, even they whine when they need work.

John

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Yea the best way is to listen for a high pitch noise. Check the quality of cut and you can start to get an idea.

We use resharpened for stuff we just need to cut quickly and use the new bits for jobs with lots of deck seam and precision work. Save a little bit of money, probably not tha much.

Andy, What brand bits do you use. Seems like everyone likes something different. One brand does something good but doesn’t perform well in other applications.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I use a compant in Arizona called Courmatt. Used them since the beginning. The only reason I don’t recommend them is that if you don’t have a large spindle, the triple flute bit boggs the thing down.

I have also tried Onsrud, Belin and my most recent was a bit from Pinske. Thing cuts awsome and super fast. Almost 800 ipm. I am in the process of reviewing it now.

Thanks Andy,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.