Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Wags

I now have had a few days to allow all that happend sink in. Last weekend was “Luke Days” at Luke Air Force Base in Arizona. For those that don’t know, Luke is the only base to trains F 16 pilots in the world. Every two years they have a big air show, topped off with the Thunderbirds. It so happens I have a 6 year old grandson that has a dream to fly fighter planes…(as a Marine where did I go wrong…sigh). Anyway, he and his family (my daughter) fly in each year for this show and a visit. As it also happens I was golfing with a buddy a month or so ago and mentioned this. He says, well my Nephew is one of the ThunderBird pilots.. Actully his nephew is the advance pilot that comes in several days before the events, makes sure things are all settled and takes “high profile” people on flights. He took Boomer at the Super Bowl. He then is the announcer for the show. So a week or so later were out to dinner with our wives and the girls begin to talk about the show.. To make a long story somewhat shorter, they set up for us to Meet the Major on the Friday before the show at the airbase. My grandson was beside himself with anticipation. We go, the Major meets us at the visitor center and I meet the nicest person I have ever met. My grandson had made a picture for Major “Tad” and the Major just makes a huge fuss over this picture and has us take his picture with my grandson and his drawing. He then takes us to me Jeromy Roenic (hockey player with the Coyotes) whom he is going to take up for a ride. After his briefing the weather is a little bad so while were waiting he spends the next hour with my grandson (and me). I also learn his father has a horrible honor of being the last Navy pilot shot down in the VietNam war…my war. I now have a more personal interest in the Major. He was shot down less than two weeks before the war ended, Major Tad was 3 months old.

We get to see his plane, watch him take Jeromy up and then leave. The next day, the day of the show, he gives us (about 15 of us with my other daughter and family) VIP tickets to the Thunderbirds tent. We sit 20 feet from the runway. The show goes on with great seats, free food and drinks and This Old Marine thinking ..damn.. I shoulda joined the Air Farce.. opps Force.. Were also with his Aunt and Uncle. After the show we see him again and invite him over to the house for dinner etc. We head home and a few hours later Major Tad shows up. We had the kids make him a big WELCOME MAJOR TAD sign (the kids are from 6 to 2 total of 4 of them plus two neighbor kids about the same age). He comes in. has pins books etc for the kids. He also has a signed book by all the Pilots for my grandson. He also brings his flight suit (pressurized, and helmut ) and lets the kid try them on and takes pictures. He then spends the next hour or so talk ing to the kids, taking pictures and answering questions.

I finally get him away from the kids so I can ask my own questions. We talk about his dad, about his time flying in Iraq in the No Fly Zone and the Thunderbirds. I can see why the Air Force has chosen him to be the Face of the Air Force. He is just a terriffic young man (31 same as my kids) . I tell him how proud his Dad would be of him and how much I appreciate his service to our country. We have a nice “father son” chat and a coke and dinner. He gives my grandson the flag he took up with he flew Jeromy the day before. He pulled 1.2 mach and 9.4 G’s. he signs a paper with the facts so we can frame it fr my grandson.

I will one day see this gentleman in a top rank with the air force. This is the caliber of people we have in the service.. they are Americas Best, and they want to be there. All that we see and hear about kids, is true, but we don’t hear enought about “kids” like Major Tad.. he is a fine officer, a Terriffic pilot and one hell of a person.

I just had to share that … hope you don’t mind.

Tom M

Wow.

There’s like, eight kinds of good that came out of that.

This is the kind of thing that we, as a whole, need to hear more about instead of just the negative that surrounds us in our everyday existance. Thank you for sharing that story with us.

Jeff Witter

Great story and glad I read it.

Joe Corlett

Wags:

In a kind of related note, my wife and I have dinner occasionally with a co-worker of hers and his wife. His wife is the mother of a new submarine captain! They just attended a big military thing where he got his sub. They just don’t give anybody the launch codes for the nuclear weapons those subs carry, I can’t wait to meet him.

Joe

Wags

Joe Im sure he will impress the hell out of you. The people I have met in our military ARE the best of the best this country has to offer. I will continue to do what I can to support all our troops, never again will our troops come home to anything less than a heros welcome. I just wish the politicians would stop playing politics with our military. I appreciate you allowing me to share this with you all.

Wags,
    I just happend to stumble onto this post.  I missed it originally.  Great telling of your experience.  Yes, we should be proud of our military.

My son is a F-15 instructor pilot at Kinglsy Field, in Klamath Falls Oregon.  We are very proud and also exstatic that he and his family now live within a three hour drive from us.  I have been trying to figure a way that he can get clearance from his C.O. for me to fannigle a rid with him some day.  Not likely, but one can hope.  Maybe if I make graduation plaques for a full  class of new grads with the F-15 Eagle, logo inlayed on them.

Johnny C

Wags,

Your story put a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. What a wonderful experience for your Grandson…. and you. I’m sure it will be a  fond memory for you Grandson for many years.

Our people in uniform deserve our utmost respect and appreciation.

Thank you for sharing your story.

GEMSTONE

Wags

I had forgot about this post,  allow me to finish the story.

The first picture is Tad and my grandson at my home

This past Memorial Day, as many of you know, I did the Run For The Wall and Rolling Thunder. While there I looked up Tad’s Dad.  This is a picture of his final resting place.

And yes, my grandson and Tad still communicate.  In fact, Tad’s tour with the Thunderbirds is over and he is stationed at the Pentagon.  Tad sent my grandson his flight suit from the Thunderbirds.

Awsome!!!

Johnny C

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.