Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Lori Ludwick

Hi, my name is Lori Ludwick and I am from Premier Countertops. Over time women have become more and more prevelent in male dominated industries. Solid surface is no exception to the rule. I hope all of the women, whether they are a part of a solid surface business or married to someone who is part of a solid surface business can find the time to take part in this section. We as a group can shape this into any form we choose. I know that being part owner of a solid surface business myself can be overwelming at times. We all may have tips or somesuch advice that can help ease the way as we women become more of a driving force in this industry. I look forward to hearing from each any everyone of you. Again Welcome!

Lori

Well Lori,

It looks like we got our wish! Now we are going to have to keep up with these “gabby” husbands of ours! And they say women can talk! Yikes! Between Andy and Mory I think they are single handedly keeping Verizon in business!

Seriously though, I am already trying to get the word out to all of us GREAT WOMEN OF THE FABRICATION INDUSTRY. I think all of us have plenty of stories and great ideas to share. This is going to be terrific!

Valerie

OM

A girls section….This is really cool. We just bought a solid surface company in March and I am still learning the ins and outs of the way it all works. 🙂 I am the operations manager and of course the only woman in the company. We have 13 guys and I sometimes feel a little outnumbered. I am glad I am not the only one thrown into a “man’s business”.

In our area we are one of the only companies that does more than a kitchen or two a week and as a result the work is piling on. (Plus we have a sales rep for LG that keeps getting us more jobs) I am trying to figure out the best way to grow so that we don’t end up too much over our heads. I can’t wait to check out some of the threads and get some help from all of you that know so much more than I do.

Thanks for letting me join you all!

Lesley

Lori Ludwick

Lesley,

Iam so glad that you found us. I too was once the only female in our company, but in December we hired a wonderful lady to handle all of our cabinet sales and designs. Owning your own company can at time be a little daunting, but it can also be very rewarding. I run the front office, excluding scheduling and auto-cad. I only work part-time, as we have a second grader and I want to be able to spend time with him. Most days I feel as though I do the work of at least three people. I have been trying really hard to stay on top of things lately, so I have an occasional day to sneak out a little earlier than usual. If you have any questions or just want to chat or vent, I am sure one of us can help you or at least point you in the right direction. Hope to hear more from you soon and welcome to the world of solid surface.

Lori (Premier Countertops)

Count me in too Leslie!

10 years ago I went from earning a degree in Child Development and running a child care program to running a solid surface company with my husband. Fortunately for me, I learned from one of the veteran solid surface women in our industry, my mother in law…Linda Graves. Her and my father in law started the company about 25 years ago and she was truly a pioneer in the solid surface industry. She taught me a lot about solid surface and most importantly how to get along in a very male dominated industry and be respected (sometimes even feared!).

I do all of the scheduling and a lot of our outside sales. So, any questions you may have fire away! We are here to help.

Valerie

Olive Mill

Thanks! I appreciate all the help! I am running the office too, plus I also do scheduling and material orders and some sales work but most of that is done by my husband and couple of other guys. Plus I do all that for our construction company and the work is never ever done. I have 3 little kids too. 🙂 6, 3 and 1…..so……any tips you have on the best way to keep all the balls in the air would be greatly appreciated.

I run my office out of my house right now so I can be home with my kids, which of course does not help me get anything done….I do have a housekeeper / nanny that comes 30 hours a week to keep things here going, but I still end up spending a lot of time working after the kids are in bed. It is getting better as I learn what I am doing, but I had to set everything up and of course that took a lot of time. It would have been great if the business had been actually set up when I took it over. Unfortunately the previous owner did everything himself as far as the paperwork went and he did not do it terribly well either. He did do a great job on fabrication and installation and the customers love him so we do get plenty of work through referrals, but the set up was definitely labor intensive. I am fortunate in that my training and degrees are in business so I at least have a clue about what I am doing on that side of it, but of course every business is different and there is so much to learn.

I have found that working with your husband is helpful with the respect factor. The guys know I am in charge of certain things and if they don’t do what they are told not only will they have to answer to me, but I have the heavy hitter right behind me if I need him. That being said all of our guys really have been great and I have not had one bit of trouble from any of them. I try to be extra fair in honoring special requests from them and they in turn will go the extra mile for me (often literally. :))

Lesley

Leslie,

It sounds like you already have a lot of it down. As far as balancing work and little kids, I know I do the same and I think Lori does too. I have an 8 year old and a 3 year old and I work 40+ hours a week, oh and did I mention I am this year’s PTA President at my 8 year old son’s school. So, I know what you mean with “balls in the air.” It is a constant juggling act!

One great tool that we use is the Moreaware job tracker computer software. It does EVERYTHING from job bids to contracts to scheduling, purchase orders, etc. It is a terrific tool. We have had it since December and I am totally IN LOVE. Makes my job really easy.

Go to http://www.moraware.com and check it out.

Val

OM

Lori Ludwick

Sounds like all of us do alot of juggling. I only have one child (might as well be three). I spend about 25-30 hours a week at the office, but also have the capability of working from home. I can remotely log in to the office. In addition, I am on the board of trustees for the local library and treasurer for the scout pack. This is in addition to running to the ice rink three or four times a week. Noah decided he wanted to play hockey this winter, so we had to have skating lessons and hockey school. I managed to convince him not to play soccer also. This spring and part of summer it was soccer, baseball and skating. I swear I need a keeper. Lesley, you are so fortunate to have someone to come in and help. I keep thinking I would like to find someone to come and clean once a week. This would free up my Saturdays.

Val, you are rigth Moraware is heaven sent. It really is a time saver and a great way to keep everything in order. Lesley, it does sound as though you have it all under control, or at least as much as one can expect. We are here though, if anyone of us can be of help.

Lori

Thanks Val – I am checking their website out right now. I could definitely use the help with the best ways to keep schedules going and my bookkeeping gets behind sometimes and it is can be tough to catch it all up. 🙂 I am so glad to have the chance to chat with you.

As far as the housekeeper goes….that is a necessity if I am going to work out of my house because that means the kids are there destroying it the entire time I am working if I don’t have someone else to pick up after them. (and scold them about making a mess) It will be easier when the 6 year old is back in school. She can make more of a mess than the other two combined.

Anyway thanks again I am sure I will be hitting you up for help now that I know you are here.

Lesley

Lori….GET A HOUSEKEEPER!!! NOW!! DON’T LET MORY TALK YOU OUT OF IT!!

We have a housekeeper come in and clean every other week and it has been such a HUGE help. With all of your jobs and responsibilities the last thing you want to be waisting time on is cleaning the house. It will be almost as good as Moraware. Trust me.

Well, it sounds like all of us are in the same situation. How exactly do we get ourselves into all of this? Not quite sure!

Leslie, anything we can do to help just ask. That’s why we’re all here….to support each other.

Val

OM

Norm Walters

Val, I hear ya, that Cinderella story just doesn’t work out for most.[EMO]bigsmile.gif[/EMO]

Kurt Bonk

Norm,

This section is for Babes only; Uh, uh I mean the ladies. Should I call you Norma. No worries. I want tell the guy’s you post here if you don’t.

Kurt

Kurt Bonk

Norm,

No disrespect, just messing around.

Kurt

I tell you is nothing sacred? It isn’t enough we have to work with you guys all day? [EMO]bigsmile.gif[/EMO] I’m just kidding, although I may tell the guys you post here…..

Lesley

Norm Walters

I have four sisters, needless to say I’ve never had a problem talking to women, but I will let you all have your space.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.