Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

What horrendous warranty (or general repairs by other “fabricators” – scare quotes intended) have you done?

Most cracks – We may already have a winner at 18.

Oddest – I had an upside down top I had to fix – ha!

al had an Avo repair where the “fabricator” left the plastic film on the build up.

Kind of damage – where the top was/was not salvageable? We had a customer who’s top was the recipient of gallons of paint stripper. We actually saved the top!

Tell all!

Shane Barker

I have not done many repairs, I really hate doing them. But the one that comes to mind was several years ago a customer called and wanted us to come out and look at her Avonite kitchen. Boy what a nightmare job. It was in an off white color and all the seams were highly visible. But the best one was a seam behind the sink for a piece that went into a garden window. It still had the belt sander marks on the deck and the customer said she really had a hard time cleaning that area, go figure. After looking closer at the edges I found that they had been all belt sanded and left that way. This whole job was so bad I told Avonite I would not try to save it I would only do a full replacement and they agreed. The one thing I remember most is the reaction of the customer when we were done, she was very happy! She had no idea how good it was suppose to look. It really made my day. I later found out it was done by a former Avonite sales rep that bought a countertop shop and started fabricating tops, I think he went back into sales after he was ran out of town.

Shane

Gordon Shell

Yeah, that plastic protective sheeting they put on had some black writing on it. Where they did a joint in the build up, it showed up as a black line between the layers. It sure came apart easy, though. I kept a small peice to show customers the value in getting an experienced fabricator.

I saw one where they left the feild seam offset about an eighth of an inch, then did the matte finish.

KCWOOD

I posted this on a different thread, I guess it needs to be here Map

I got into Solid surface because of very poor work from a fabricator setting tops on my cabinets. . I’m not sure if he is still doing SS.

I read all over this forum about poor work, warranty claims out the wazoo, ect. Many of this I’m sure is because of the pressure many reps or distributors have to grow their business. I went to a fabrication class(name withheld) at my local distributor few years ago. There were guys there, that had been fabricating for a long time, asking questions like,

1)is a mirror cut better than running the edge through a jointer?

2) what is micron paper, I buy my sandpaper at Lowe’s

3) What is color matched, aren’t all sheets the same?

4) Why can’t I cut a cooktop out with a jig saw? It works great!

5) I tell customers to spray WD40 on it, really makes it shine….

Since then the manager is gone, the distributor sells to great fabricators.

Hopefully this site will provide a place for the manufacturures to identify fabricators in their area that does great work!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We replaced a Fountainhead K020 three times for one customer. Those things sucked.

Tom M

Yes, Andy, they sucked. However they were the easiest sinks to remove. One good fist shot down into the bowl and POP!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.