Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I just quoted a job to cover an entrance wall with monolithic ss panels. The panels will have a 1 1/2 returned edge and will be 60″ high and 70-80 inches wide. Here is the killer part. The panels will be 5 across and 6 panels high. Yup, the wall is 30 feet high and there will be a 3″ reveal between all panels. The original plan was to have 3 panels across with the center panel being 5 foot by 17’5″ long. I shot that idea down real quick. Has anybody ever done something like this? BTW, there is a security checkin desk right in front of the wall.

Karl Crooks

Steve, we have yet to install a job like this, but we have done finish work on walls. Do your best to make sure all of your parts are 100% finished on the ground, as doing finish work after they are installed is no ez task.One large wall job BTP got called to resolve, as the Fab could not get the finish right, looked great in the end, but a nation wide install was lost due to the issues and delays with the Fab.

Jon Olson

Karl. Did you send Chet to fix it?

Karl Crooks

LOL no, this was in Ca. and was not a one man job, it took a team of guys to resolve this one. Good to see you here on the boards also Jon!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

About 20 years ago we did about 5 operating rooms at a hospital. It was all Avonite with one of the walls being polished black. It looked really good.

We made the walls flat using shims stuck to the wall with hot glue and then we just plushed the panels in place and put two globs of hot glue at the top to hold them until the silicone set.

Now going as high as you are could pose some serious problems. Whatever you do. be sure to take some pictures.

Matt Davis

Andy, 20 years ago?You were fabricating at the age of 6?? Dang, I’m bad with age…

The ball is in their court now. I excluded engineering approvals for the hanging system. I also put it well into 6 figures and installation is also excluded. I’m thinking of applying fiberglass cloth to the panel backs with joint adhesive to keep them together and to act as a secondary attachment system.

Jon Olson

Steve check out this site. Not sure if these fixings would work on your project. We’ve used a few times on other jobs with good success.

http://www.squirrels-uk.com

darbykin

Steve:

I suggest that you use a slotted adjustable angled wall cleat. Bond a mating angled cleat to the back of your prefinished panel and lift it into place. If you don’t like it, remove it, adjust the wall cleat and repeat until you’re happy. Dab some silicone on the cleat if you’re in an earthquake zone or the paranoid type.

To answer your question, yes, I have done something like this. I placed the solid surface front of a twenty-four foot long reception counter using this technique and put a field seam in it which came out perfectly. It’s been hanging for the better part of a decade and I haven’t gotten a call-back yet.

In addition to a very fast and safe installation, the biggest advantage to using the cleats is that it allows the solid surface to move at a different rate than the wall, a critical detail on panels this big.

Better build ’em square,

Trebruchet

Thanks Jon and Tre. I have already submitted a cad drawing of a modified French cleat system. I always like to review other ideas also. Squirrels again? They look like something I could spit out on a CNC lathe.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.