Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    AJ Moore

We are getting ready to do a large job cladding a wall with 1/4″ himacs material, and are trying to find out what a good epoxy to use to attach to fire treated plywood. the wall has a radius to it. Something that will also have a reasonably quick dry time(20 – 30 min) any suggestions or reccomendations?

mariaaustia

Uh, geez, whoof! not sure which one to use.

Shouldn’t this be adhered with Silicone so it can move? Or are you talking about the seam?

I bet some of the others that have done a lot of wall cladding can say for sure, but I’d check with the manufacture before using epoxy.

Norm Walters

As far as I know the only approved adhesives to attach solid surface to a disimilar substrate are silicone and neoprene.

Integra has a quick drying silicone, check them out.

David Gerard

Are you going to cover the seams with battons? If so maybe somthing mechanical at the seam then cover with the strip or batton

You will need to test whatever you are going to use on a scrap of material first. Sometimes the adhesives react to the fire treatment chemicals/salts. We tried pressing laminate to fire treated particleboard with water based PVA adhesive. The adhesive reacted with the board and was curing as we rolled it on. We ended up applying it to the laminate and had to get it in the press fast.

Good luck.

AJ Moore

The horizontal seams have a 1/2″ space between w/ a 2″ strip of 1/2″material behind that will be screwed in for hold. we have done a small scale mock-up and the silicone does not hold, our distributor has not been able to get us any info for what to use, and the manufacture just directs us to the distributor.

Is this in a commercial space that will have a fairly constant temperature 24/7 or will there be drastic temp swings?

Is they silicone just not holding at first or after a good 24 hour cure?

AJ Moore

We had the mockup set and clamped over a full weekend and it still pulled free

George Owren

We’ve had goog performance with Bondaflex STP25. we use it onshower walls. it has high initial tack which holds the panels without bracing. It is also available from Chemical Concepts under their label as MS 35

Bad silicone? I’ve seen it happen.

Test the silicone.

AJ Moore

thank you all for the advice / suggestions, we have tested the silicone and under normal usage its fine. we are still not sure what we are going to use at this time. but are moving forward with the project.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.