Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Wags

We got a letter from LG Hausys announced they are buidling a Quartz mfg facility in Ga, next to their Solid Surface plant. Congratulations to LG for investing 50 million in the USA !

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

This is great news. Really surprised to see American companies leaving and the foreign companies coming on board. Why does LG see the value in producing material here why other do not?

Wags

I think it shows the commitment LG is making to the US Market. Look for some exciting news for the Hi Macs line in the next month or two also.

Jon Olson
    The green movement I would suspect has a little to do with it.  Less carbon .Reduced over seas trips
    Bill Wolle

I am not sure if this was considered but…

I don’t think Canada has any plans to lob a nuke south. I am not too sure about N. Korea.

Wags

Jon

An interesting quote by Marty Davis, owner of Cambria, regarding costs of shipping. He said it cost him more to ship a container, from Minn. to Atlanta, than it did for Silestone to ship a container from Spain to Atlanta. Shipping by water is very cheap, and energy efficient. All that being said, I asked Aristech once if there would be cost savings to mfg in Asia, rather than in Kentucky. With modern plants, they operate with a great deal of automation, so labor was not a major cost.

Again I think it shows LG’s committment to the industry and to the USA. They will also be moving their corp office to Ga in the next few months.

Tom M

There must be something Georgia is doing right, that other states aren’t.

I think Cambria had an exclusive in the US until this year, is that not correct?

Wags

Yep Tom they did have the exclusive.

Tom M

Whether it is shipping, logistics, port access, or maybe just because it is close to Sanitychaser, Georgia must be very business friendly.

Jon Olson

Good points Tom. it may be cheaper but green peeps like that fact that less carbon will fill the air. We once received a large job in NY because the next best bid came from a company in Italy. We won because of the carbon points.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I would be willing to bet that Georgia gave them a great tax break to move there.

Wags

Or perhaps, Ga is just more business friendly to all companies. Some states actually understand that without business their is no employment, and no taxes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.