Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Shane Barker

I have a unique opportunity to acquire a vacuum former. It is a vacuum table and a platinum heater that has been offered to me to use at no cost. The company that has it has no use for it any more and really wants me to set it up in my shop. The catch is that they may use it from time to time and they would like to help market products I may make using the machine. I know it sounds strange but I have known these people for a long time and we have a pretty good relationship. What can I make? Does anyone use one? It would be great for thermoforming but I really don’t do that much but maybe I would? This company was making thermoformed solid surface vanities but never got off the ground with them. I have been considering making shower pans and this would probably work great for that as well as a ton of other things I’m sure.

So what do you think? I am like most of you guys, I love machines and equipment and I kinda like the idea of getting this but would I use it? Space as usual is a premium but I think I could make room if I decide to get it. If you cant tell I am really struggling with this decision. Any thoughts?

Shane

Would I would give to be in your shoes. Ahhhh the possibilities.

John

Joe Corlett

Shane:

It has been my experience that most of the things that advance my business made me initially uncomfortable. Whether it’s hiring your first employees or purchasing machinery, you always get that “Should-I-really-be-doing-this?” feeling. Several months later you look back and think “What the heck was I afraid of?”.

This sounds to me that if the sacrifice for space isn’t too great you could have a huge upside. If it doesn’t work out, you don’t have much exposure.

Get uncomfortable,

Joe

Shane Barker

Joe Corlett wrote

Several months later you look back and think “What the heck was I afraid of?”.

Your right Joe, it would be better than looking back and saying damn I wish I got it.

John,

What are the possibilities, what kind of things would you do with it?

I know I would have a blast playing with it for a while but I would need to put it to work making money.

Shane

Shower pans is one item you listed before, but how about vanity bowls integrated with the tops in the same color? Vanity tops with large radiused skirts. Just make something that no one has ever made before or maybe a piece that no one in your area has seen and bring it to an architect or designer and let their mind go with it. Let them dream up something wild for you to make and charge a crap load for. A great person told me to think of this oven as a marketing tool at first to get your name out there, dont plan on making the moneyback for a while though, but the work will come once the right people see what you can do. I of course have to buy the oven.

John

Shane Barker

Thanks John, good points.

Shane

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I would get it and try it. Just remember that it takes a trained employee to make the oven profitable. It’s not like just glue pieces together.

Possibilities:

• large curved approns
    • Shower Pans
    • Embossed Backsplash
    • Commercial Projects with curved panels

If you are talking about those BAS relief panels for backsplashes, those take a hydraulic press. I think most of the time with an oven, unless he is very skilled with a ot of time on it, it is going to be trial and error. Same as when you get your first CNC. If you had to purchase it outright, I would agree with it taking time to make it profitable, its not an item you use every day. But like Jon Olson told me, once people know that you can make some other stuff, more will roll in.

Shane Barker

My lead fabricator use to work for this company and he said they were experimenting with embossed material. He thinks it is a real possibility on this machine. I have the capabilities of doing large curved aprons and have done some when they come up, which is very seldom.

The one big advantage I have is that my fabricator has run this unit and knows how to use it. I know you guys are thinking “why the hell doesn’t he just get it”, and I am starting to think that also. I tend to over think things, it took me over three years to decide to buy a CNC and this unit isn’t costing over 150k. This offer has been on the table for over a year now and just reiterated again recently so I thought I should give it some serious consideration.

I guess the next step is to see where I can fit it in the shop and make sure I have enough available power to hook it up. Thanks for the replies.

Shane

Jon Olson

Shane what is the make and model?

Shane Barker

Not sure Jon, I am going to try to get the info tomorrow. It has been several years since I have actually seen it.

Shane

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.