Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I ran across this site tonight that had a bunch of pissed off consumers with stained granite tops. Here are some of them

Olive oil stain found on Granite Countertop

+

How do I remove an olive oil stain from my granite counter top? Please help! I just put them in this week!

Sheryl R [last name deleted for privacy due to age of posting]

– Philadelphia, PA

++

Hi,

Did you get any good suggestions you could forward me? I bumped into your posting by accident and I’m in the exact same situation you are in. So much for granite being bullet-proof.

Thanks,

Daniele R [last name deleted for privacy due to age of posting]

– Berkeley, CA, USA

+++

Same problem–olive oil stains on a granite counter top. Any solutions would be appreciated.

D, Solodar

– North Palm Beach. FL, USA

+++

I just installed granite countertops and heard about staining from oil, butter or grease. Besides not using these things, how can I prevent staining?

Thanks,

Ilene W [last name deleted for privacy due to age of posting]

– Congers, NY, USA

+++

I am in the same situation w/ granite. It is a melted butter stain…did anyone get any help? Thank you.

Shawn H [last name deleted for privacy due to age of posting]

contractor – Port Orchard, WA, USA

+++

I picked up this solution which worked great! Mix one cup of unbleached flour with three tablespoons of Blue Dawn dishwashing liquid (it has grease cutting ability) and water. Add water to consistency of yogurt. Apply as poultice to countertop approximately 1/4 inch. Cover with plastic wrap and

David Gerard

I’m serious here, how about sealing stone tops with digestible mineral oil, that is to say displace the would be pores with mineral oil. I know it would darken slightly but would it work?

Chris Yaughn

Odds are most of those people dealt with box stores or builders who dealt with high volume low service operations. Drop the 2 bills a gallon on good sealer and you would avoid most of these problems.

We have settled on one that has a lifetime warranty to the Fabricator. You can pass it along however you like. We are doing it as lifetime to the original owner.

Cheap hacks are to blame… the stone needs a good impregnator to begin with and the consumer needs to be educated.

All you folks out there starting to fab natural stone need to save yourself the headache and embarrasment and avoid this happening to you.

Once again, common sense!

Dan Dauchess

David G.,

Mineral oil is actually the traditional and still recommended method of treating soapstone tops.

I personally use a high-quality sealer and worry no further about it. There are products out there that seal the most absorbent stones. I’ve sealed Kashmir White, a notorious sponge, with one of these products and then proceded to submerge it in grape juice for the weekend – no issues. Currently that piece of stone is sitting out in my yard being abused by the elements. I plan on repeating the test in six months.

Dan

You know guys, granite dude created their own problem. Mis-information from some of the reputable (in granite guys eyes) site/trade orginizations about stone not staining then you have a standup fabricator offer to seal a customers top, as an extra and Mr. homeowner in an effort to save money they choose not to do it because of the fact that they “read somewhere” that they simply don’t need to.

Viscious circle. Needs to be broken.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

kdnoel wrote

Cheap hacks are to blame… the stone needs a good impregnator to begin with and the consumer needs to be educated.

All you folks out there starting to fab natural stone need to save yourself the headache and embarrasment and avoid this happening to you.

Once again, common sense!

Hello Kevin,

I noticed you said it was “Common Sense” about how to seal granite. Here is where I encounter my main concern with my own customers. I have no idea what to tell them. After making the comparison chart, a major grip was that I rated granite low when it comes to staining. Then many stone fabricators that they never sealed any of their material cause most granite won’t stain.

I understand that granite will stain, but there doesn’t seem to be much consensus on this.

What is your take?

Andy I just read a stained thread on another board tonight and found out that the complaint was on marble not granite. I would have educated my customer and not recommended the use of marble to begin with. We are all very challenged when the consumer can’t tell the difference between granite and marble staining. We have our work cut out for us.

I know it is difficult but in time and proper study of the engineering data you will become familiar with what the fabrictor needs to know about what needs impregnated and what doesn’t. The engineering data at LuckStone tells all the physical properties of stone and is a good place to start. Experience also tells a fabricator a lot about certain stones and when special needs apply to a stone.

As far as “common sense” goes I meant it to the hack fabricator that saves the money and causes us all the grief of over coming this issue. I for one do not want to be called back to a job because of a stain, let alone have a customer that complains to the rest of the world that granite stains. A “common sense” fabricator will nip this problem in the bud and pocket more profit by not being called back to a job for a stain problem. A hack will save some profit by not impregnating the stone and then try to avoid the problem they created or charge for the stain removal.

It’s a tough one Andy but my customers enjoy their countertop (whatever the material) because we have integrety and we care. We want repeat/refferal business!

Cade Holt

Were this the work of hacks alone, the MIA would not shoot themselves in the foot with their care and cleaning page. Face it most stones will stain regardless of care and sealing.

This is more of the typical response from the stone industry, blame the problems on the cabinets, the homeowner or if all else fails, say it was done by hacks.

There aren’t that many hacks out there.

Tom M

Then many stone fabricators that they never sealed any of their material cause most granite won’t stain.

Kevin, this needs to be dealt with. Some of the claims you see on the site are pretty far out there on the bizarro scale.

How often do you see a stone commenter take this stuff to task? “No, Mr. Absolute, you’re wrong. Many stones will, and do stain.” We see what happens if a solid surface guy writes it, it’s up to you guys. The industry will be stronger for it.

madslamaxer

Tom M wrote

Then many stone fabricators that they never sealed any of their material cause most granite won’t stain.

Kevin, this needs to be dealt with. Some of the claims you see on the site are pretty far out there on the bizarro scale.

How often do you see a stone commenter take this stuff to task? “No, Mr. Absolute, you’re wrong. Many stones will, and do stain.” We see what happens if a solid surface guy writes it, it’s up to you guys. The industry will be stronger for it.

Tom what site did that come from?

Noel Houze

I can not speak for Tom on where that bit of info came from, but I bet you will recognise this one. Care to share the reasons why you speak ill of Back To Perfection? Karl has been here for quite a while and has helped so many people as well as being generous with giveaways at the Surfaces show and advertising here. You might want to read the title of the thread you participated in, might want to consider doing just that.

Tom M

Andy’s comment at 3:25, above.

[edit] and by “site” I should have typed “sites” .

Tom M

Al, I read the whole dang thread and saw but one quick comment. I don’t think it was out of line. I’m not sure why Kevin feels that way, or even what “that way” is. I don’t think he was implying anything.

Kevin, to be fair, I’ve learned quite a lot about sol surf repair from what Gordon and Karl write here. Because of same, I am learning the fabrication of avoidance as well.

I have addressed this with Karl directly and really don’t think it needs to be taken out of context folks.

Karl was man enough to leave it alone… I respect that!

I also understand that BTP is now offering services on ES as well as SS.

I am not here for a pissing match with Al and will continue to ignore his negative crap.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.