Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ed Sautter

I have a customer that is insisting that they want the “web” of the sink covered by stone. I believe I have read that the minimum amount the stone should be three inches. Anyone doing the center divider in stone? Should I attempt it or avoid it? She also is asking that I cut the sink apart and attach it with the three inch center web. I really don’t think that wise either. Any help would be great.

KCWOOD

If you do it and it fails… you are the bad guy…

If you do it, every day you will wonder when the phone rings if it is the customer calling to complain it has failed.

When they move the faucet from one bowl to another, they will complain water runs out onto the floor… 

I would go with your gut feeling…

Ed Sautter

What gets me is that you see it pictured in the house magizines all the time and that’s where they get the ideas from. They see it then want it manufactured that way.

Brian Stone

That’s a tough one. I think you would be fine with a 3″ bridge on engineered stone but most granites won’t make it through the fab process.

If you do this I would suggest milling down the bridge piece a little so that you don’t have the problem of water running on the floor when you swing the faucet between sinks. It will also act as an overflow if one bowl clogs. Andy has done something similar in solid surface and I’m pretty sure he has pics of it on here somewhere.

nssthan

We’ve only done it once and were really nervous because it was in blue bahia, but it is obvious that we are all gamblers or we would be in a different line of work. We did it with two separate bowls and with a 3 inch center rail. We did do what Brian said and machined down the center with 1 1/2 bevels into either side. This was about 18 years ago. I guess it could still fail but no calls yet. This might be a scenario where if you can mount the bowls before installation, you do.

Than

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I will post pics if I can find them.

If you start fabricating and the center section breaks, could you then just do a large, single cutout?

KCWOOD

Andy did it, but yeah, it was with SS and he sanded down the center to spill the water into the bowls.

With Granite, would you rod it before you even machined it?  Would you have too?  This has to be at least a $100 sq ft job???  If you break the slab… it’s scrap.

I have found price will control even the most weird of the customers ideas!!

Brian Stone

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 28 Feb 2011 07:04 PM

Andy did it, but yeah, it was with SS and he sanded down the center to spill the water into the bowls.

With Granite, would you rod it before you even machined it?  Would you have too?  This has to be at least a $100 sq ft job???  If you break the slab… it’s scrap.

I have found price will control even the most weird of the customers ideas!!

If we did something like that in granite we would definitely rod it before any machining took place.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Yea, we rod before doing the cutouts. Fragile to flip material after holes are cut.

Price is typically a deterrent and at least you get paid if the customer has to have it.

Mark Meriaux

We don’t do them for our in-house installs, but have a Fab Only client that requests them regularly.  Risk should come with a reward, as we charge more for these cutouts.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.