Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Has anyone had experience with installing an undermount cast iron kitchen sink on a granite top? I have a picky customer who is searching for just the right size single bowl kitchen sink. It seems like the best options are cast iron from Kohler but we’re afraid the weight of the cast iron will slowly seperate from the granite. If we use the “Sink Setter” hardware will it still seperate?

Any advice is appreciated.
    Please no snide comments from Al.

Sue Turner

You should not have a problem with the sink setter as long as the cab. will support the weight. Just this week we used a sink setter on a 42 inch triple bowl cast iron under mount in an Affinity top.

Here in the Hi-Desert I must have several hundred under mount cast iron in the various brands of SS over the past 15 to 20 years and not had a seperation yet.

William

Sink setters are a good option but we do not use them. I have done many cast iron sinks under granite and silestone. We simply cut a 2×4 about 13-16″ long with a 45 on one end. Silicone the sink and clamp it into place. Then go into the cabinet and put the 2×4 with the 45 up to the sink and screw the 2×4 into the side of the cab. Angle your first screws at an upward ange and as it tightens to the cab it will get tighter to the sink. We usually put 2 screws at an upward angle and 1 screw straight in. Works and have never had a call back.

Tom M

Hi. Christina.

Travis and William are right about the Vance sink rails (sink setter?), and Travis echoes us with not using them. My guys are comfortable and quick with building a 2×4 frame (space available) fron to back in thecabinet. I wouldn’t rely on any kind of clip adhered any kind of way to the bottom of the stone top. With cast sinks, we start with those, but build the frame.

Cheap insurance, as they say.

Tom

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Hello Christina,

We use wood rails also. If you use the Kohler, I understand they want you to use their brand of sink setting rails. Otherwise they say that they won’t honor the warranty. Might want to check.

We still don’t use their brand, just the wood.

The sink clips will not hold over time and you should not use them. To much liability.

Chris Yaughn

2 X 4 ‘s here also

Mark Mihalik

I too do the 2×4 (or wood) technique. I’ve never had a problem yet. Cast iron sinks are never flat so don’t over shim the sink or the stone may be pushed up and crack.

Demetri

Options.

Available in 25″, 36″ & 50″.

malinn

Dave, I assume that the 36″ fits a kitchen sink? That sink support looks bulletprooof. We used the sink setters in the last job, seemed too big at the back, had to drill through one edge of it for one of the sink holes.

matt350

Al, the 24’s are the most popular followed by 36″. Don’t know about bulletproof but the cast iron sinks not moving.

I’ve used both the 2×4 and the vance. Have about 600 at units at least done with 2×4. Guess I’ll start carrying 2×4 sink kits in my van. haha. jActually I like plywood better 2 pcs of 3/4 put together. Nice an flat and stronger then pine. But hey, thats splitting hairs. On high rises I used to put it in the contract that the cabinet man had to provide the support. That way he’s liable if it fails. Plus he’s familar with his cabinets supportive abilities. Worked very well.

Harvey Oga

Not that guests that come in to your home are afforded a view of underneath a cabinet but this is the year 2007 is it not?

Use what works for you but crude is an understatement !

“The sink clips won’t hold over time” Andy? What are your facts pertaining to this??

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We take out a lot of cultured marble tops and almost all of them have brass inserts with the clip and wing nut. Most of those are just not holding like there supposed to and the silicone has gone bad. Now the only thing holding the sink up is the p-trap.

So I am only guessing that if you use it for a cast iron sink that weighs a ton and then attach a garbage disposal, it will eventually fail. The wood or sink setter method is much more likely to last for the duration of the kitchen.

I have no proof but I know what I see and the clip idea kinda scares me. I suppose it could work.

There is one system that will work to hold the cast iron sinks up (in Granite using clips and that is the Keil stone anchor system. We’ve been using it for about 5 months. It’s a pretty amazing machine. Thier web site is http://www.tile-eze.com

Brady Hudson

What we’re trying to do here is not have granite guy drill in to the stone. Why would you want to take a chance on fracturing a top (seen it done) when you can use a Rotaloc drill less fastener or a Vance sink undermounter? Plus, they are INEXPENSIVE and work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.