Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I have had this argument with my Dad (we work together) for years and it just came up again. He wants to polish until it looks like a mirror. I love that look but I think it is a bit much for a customers house, plus it shows every little imperfection with the sheet. How polished do you make it before you stop?

Karl Crooks

Andy we do alot of refinish work, and get many request to “Polish my tops”, yet we have found that when you find out thier use / needs they really do not want a polished top. We offer 4 finishes – Matt – Simi Gloss – Polished – & Mirror, the first 2 are industry standards, with Polish we just take it up a bit above the Simi, most that thought they wanted a “Polish” love this, with Mirror it is a true Mirror finish and we really only do this on boats. Simi Gloss is what we do the most, hope this helps.

Karl,

When you say a bit above semi-gloss what do you mean? Whats your process if you don’t mind sharing?

REUBEN

Karl Crooks

Reuben nothing to hide here, there are manys ways to do this, and many brands / types of sandpaper. To keep it simple think like this, to get waht we call a polished finish just go 1 grit / step more than simi sloss and finish it off with a damp white SB pad. For a true mirror finish we go to a wet process or you can use a beffer and some compound

Karl thanks. Do you think that gives about the same shine as granite and ES? I’m just wondering if that is why customer think polish becouse that’s how we refer to their finishes. Also I have a customer who can not decide between Zodiaq or solid surface and I think it is the shine she likes.Maybe this level will get it done.

Norm Walters

Everything I do is matte finish now, I used to go semi gloss or even high gloss but the customer can’t maintain it. It’s alot easier to tell the customer to buy some readily available green scotchbrite pads. If you are going to go high gloss, don’t do it to dark colors unless you want to build a lasting relationship with the customer. I polished the tops in my house to high gloss, they are pebble ebony (black), I had to repolish them after three months, and black looks like gray unless you put a high gloss on it. Obviously polyesters are a different story.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.