Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Cole

Hey, I just discovered Tom Waits music – can’t believe I didn’t find it earlier – great stuff – anyone know his work? I picked up a triple album – Bastards, brawlers and bawlers (maybe not in that order), which I guess is a bunch of previously unreleased stuff. I’m saw he has like 30 albums and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which one I should get next?

By the way, the way he looks reminds me a lot of Gordon O, lol

Kevin

David Gerard

Excellent Kevin!   John Hammond recently did a cover album of Tom Waits stuff,  my fav is  “Get behind a Mule” which I am learning the lyrics to.     I have never got use to Tom’s singing style but he is one hell of a song writer IMO and one hell of an entertainer on the stage.  he has also done some movies  Iron weed and one with Sean Connery, he is kind of an IGOR at a monastery if I remember correctly.

Tom M

David, was that “The Name of the Rose”? Also starred Christian Slater? Good movie.

Tom Waits – wow, first song I heard of his was “Only a Dollar (step right up)”. Great song. If I remember right, he was the guy who came up with the phrase “I’m so horney, the crack of dawn better look out for me.”

Never bought an album, Kevin, but the guy has a huge repertoire. If you ever get to see the Roy Orbison “Black and White” concert, Waits plays back up on the organ.

David, not too tough to sound like T. W. Just smoke a cigarette reversed, so the lit end is in your mouth. That should do the trick.

Kevin Cole

Forgive my ignorance, but I don’t know alot about John Hammond. You are talking about the Blues man, right? My favorite blues artist at the moment is Catfish Keith.

I really think Tom Waits’ singing style is excellent and coupled with his song-writing, it makes for some amazing stuff. It reminds me of Charles Bukowski in music form.

I actually saw one of Tom Waits movies a couple of weeks ago. It was an Independent sort of film called Down By Law. I also saw that he played Renfield in Bram Stoker’s Dracula. I’ve not seen Ironweed, but maybe I should? The only Sean Connery movie I can think of with an Igor-like character is Name of the Rose, but I don’t know if Waits played in that or if that is even the same movie you are thinking of (good movie, though, by the way — the author Umberto Eco wrote a great book called Focault’s Pendulum about the Knights Templar and the Illuminati, if you enjoy that sort of thing).

Kevin

Kevin Cole

Oops, looks like Tom and I were posting at the same time. Nothing like going over the same ground twice.

Kevin

Tom M

I would have loved to see him and Ricki Lee Jones when they were “together”. That must have been some great shows, driven by mutual enabling.

David Gerard

Kevin,  yes, the blues man.  Try him out too.  “big city blues” one of his earlier albums.  His dad was the John Hammond to discover Jimmy hendrix.    John H is big on martin ooo size guitars and also nickle National “duolin” resonator guitars and he inspired me to build both.  I wish I could cry like him when he does the blues, my baby would let me back in   owwoooooo smoke stack a lightnin owooooooooo.

Good thread!  You tube tom waits for more fun!

David Gerard

Get behind the Mule
    Molly be damned smote Jimmy the Harp
    With a horrid little pistol and a lariat
    She’s goin to the bottom
    And she’s goin down the drain
    Said she wasn’t big enough to carry it

She got to get behind the Mule
    In the morning and plow
    In the morning and plow
    In the morning and plow
    In the morning and plow

Choppity chop goes the axe in the woods
    You gotta meet me by the fall down tree
    Shovel of dirt upon a coffin lid
    And I know they’ll come lookin for me boys
    And I know they’ll come a-lookin for me

Got to get behind the Mule
    In the morning and plow
    In the morning and plow
    In the morning and plow
    In the morning and plow

Big Jack Earl was 8’1
    He stood in the road and he cried
    He couldn’t make her love him
    Couldn’t make her stay
    But tell the good Lord that he tried
    (Chorus)
    Dusty trail from Atchison to Placerville
    On the wreck of the Weaverville stage
    Beaula fired on Beatty for a lemonade
    I was stirring my brandy with a nail boys
    Stirring my brandy with a nail
    (Chorus)
    Well the rampaging sons of the widow James
    Jack the cutter and the pock marked kid
    Had to stand naked at the bottom
    Of the cross
    And tell the good lord what they did
    Tell the good lord what they did
    (Chorus)
    Punctuated birds on the power line
    In a Studebaker with the Birdie Joe Joaks
    I’m diggin all the way to China
    With a silver spoon
    While the hangman fumbles with the noose, boys
    The hangman fumbles with the noose
    (Chorus)
    Pin your ear to the wisdom post
    Pin your eye to the line
    Never let the weeds get higher
    Than the garden
    Always keep a sapphire in your mind
    Always keep a diamond in your mind
    (Chorus

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Kevin,

Try ITunes, you should be able to sample all the songs before you buy.

Terry Owen

Tom Waits music rocks… Have you ever heard of Stereophonics? Also great music band..

David Gerard

PW,  this is how we bait guys in here when the regular topics don’t work,   good to have another musicly interested person here.   Hey did ya go to the  “introduce yourself page”  in the general section?

Knock the dust off that thread for us would ya?   What type of stuff does  Stereophonics do?

fresh fish….. fresh fish……

Terry Owen

Ha…. Ha…. Principal Wood says it all doesn’t believe does it? I wrote the guidelines for the schools you send the newbie’s too… The grey hair on my Go-T says it’s so!. Hang on my threads’ I promise you ALL will learn something!    Welcome to MY NIGHTMARE!  Let the real PARTY Begin!!!!!

Terry Owen

I used Pizza ovens! Before Ovens were cool!

Terry Owen

Ask me about my politcal views!

They will make a Native Alaskan Smile!

PW

David Gerard

Did you also co- write with Barry Manilow 

“make a Native Alaskan smile”  you voted to increase the  permanent fund?    You voted in favor of the Pebble mine?  I’m askin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.