Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brady Hudson

Guys/Gals,

I’m having trouble thermoforming some 1/2″ Corian Ecru.  I’m making some corner trim type pieces for a tub surround.  Imagine cove corner molding except using an 11 inch wide by 80 inch long piece and bending at a 5 inch radius.  I’m using male/female templates.   Problem  – after I heat/bend them in the templates and they cool, they flare up on the ends at about 1/4″, thus creating a 1/2″ warp to the 80 inch piece.  I’ve tried more and less heat, more and less time to no avail.  Remade the templates and using steel bars to make darn sure everything stays true.  I even left it in the templates overnight to come in the next day to see them perfect in the template, then take them out and they curl!!

Help??….Talk to me Jon….or anyone else!

Thanks,
    Brady

Hi Brady, have you tried doing it in smaller sections then glue it together that should solve your problem.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Every time we thermoformed wide pieces in a male/female clamp they would still curl at the edges. We would make the pieces wide and then cut most of the curl off.

5″ radius is tight which is probably causing some of the issue.

I like Peter’s idea, but lot of work and more seams in pattern material.

Tom M

Have you tried annealing (sp?) the piece?

Pre heat it, let it sit and then heat it again and bend. Sometimes that takes the stresses out. Your flaring is caused by stress in the sheet. That’s all I can think of if you are using male/female molds and clamping until room temp.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.