Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steve Mehan

In remodels you never know what your going to find when you start taking things apart. This is the finished picture of a laminate countertop job we did. During the initial consultation and visit to the job the homeowner asked me if we would install a dishwasher for them. The space to the left of the sink was continious cabinetry. They were willing to loose some, if they could have a dishwasher. I looked things over and these cabinets were built onsite and looked easy enough to modify for space to accomodate for a dishwasher.

I looked under the sink and the plumbing goes straight down into the floor of the base cabinet. I asked to go into the basement and check things out. The homeowner then tells me they are on a slab and that the plumbing goes into the concrete directly under the sink base. At least thats what they remember when the home was built 30 years ago.

I agree to do the job with the dishwasher install and hope he’s right. 

Of course this is what I find after I get into it.

Fortunetly I had enough room behind the dishwasher to run the waste line for the sink and the supply lines I was able to leave them in place and fill in the floor in front & behind them with 3/4″ ply. Then slide the dishwasher inplace.
    I keep a good supply of plumbing parts in the trailer just for times like this. I dont want to be running all over looking for fixes.

Norm Walters

Steve, I always include a disclaimer in my contracts for unforeseen problems.

Steve:

You don’t show how the plumbing under the sink ended up, but it should have looked like this. When waste lines are not vented out the roof, the inspector can approve this “loop vent”. I’m not just being picky here. Without venting, pressure on the “P” style drain they had can evacuate the trap allowing poison sewer gas to enter the living space. This asphixiates some people every year, mostly infants.

I’m sure you looped your dishwasher drain line to a height above the sink bottom.

Joe

Norm Walters

Joe, this is called a studor vent, (one way vent) and I use them all the time on center islands or where the sink base in on a peninsula, alot more practical.

Posted By Norm Walters on 07 May 2011 06:43 AM
    Joe, this is called a studor vent, (one way vent) and I use them all the time on center islands or where the sink base in on a peninsula, alot more practical.

Norm:

I’ve used these myself, but all these solutions are often up to the discretion of the plumbing inspector. You can start with this, hope he accepts a loop and pray he doesn’t make you go through the roof.

Joe

KCWOOD

Posted By Kowboy on 07 May 2011 08:37 AM

Posted By Norm Walters on 07 May 2011 06:43 AM

Norm:

I’ve used these myself, but all these solutions are often up to the discretion of the plumbing inspector. You can start with this, hope he accepts a loop and pray he doesn’t make you go through the roof.

Joe

Norm… the inspectors here call those a “burp” valve…. and they are not allowed in Ky and many other states… you have to loop

Steve Mehan

The vents are allowed in the counties we work in and most of the state except for nyc from what I understand.

KCWOOD

but then… Ky makes you use a air gap for a dishwasher

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

So even with that pipe back there, the dishwasher was able to slid in all the way?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.