Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tom M
    I suppose this is the best place for this.

In this pic, you can see benches that are a bit different from most. We made several (6, I think), for different areas of the shop, but the movable work benches are all exactly the same. The height is geared so that, if you place the “X’s” we use for sinks on top, they will line up with our main fabrication bench. One might hold laminate stuff, like staples, corrugated fasteners, and the like in the drawer, but sanders, routers, etc. in the open area, below. That would mostly hang in the laminate area. Solid surface area benches would be similarly equipped. Some are sanding dedicated, some are adhesive…etc.. The fact that they are exact to each other makes them darn useful.

We have a large, central bench, with props such as these benches, for added versatility. To the right of that picture would be our CNC, which is a second central work area. We are this kind of shop. It’s not right for volume, but its right for us. But it’s nowhere close to the best shop I ever saw.
    That shop is in South Norwalk, Ct, at the shop of my closest fabricating friend. His layout is absolutely brilliant :

He set up his benches in a matrix, like a chessboard, or similar. Benches were smaller, either square, or a perfect rectangle, I think, but all the same size, and all the same distance apart. Laser levelled them to within an eighth of an inch, from one side to the other, and diagonally across. All of these benches have ledgers running around their perimeter. He has boxes, for lack of a better term, . which when inserted between two benches, supported by the ledgers would:

Act as a solid fill, making runs of any length instantly supported.
    Allow a fast conversion to get support suited for the actual shape of the counter.
    Could instantly turn a custom shop into a production shop.

The coolest thing, though was this:
    He has a different height insert that allows for a miter saw (permanatly mounted) to cut level with the entire surrounding surface, giving it instant, total support.
    He does this with all the portable machinery you would need for solid surface fabrication.

Brilliant.

Don’t tell him I ratted him out.

Tom

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Have him join the FabNet. Also post your shop pictures in the photo gallery. you can upload the pictures yourself and then Mory will do the final upload so that everyone can see them.

Good idea about the laser level. When you move the benches, how do you keep the level the same if the floor is our of wack.

Tom M
    Andy,
    Thanks for the reply.
    The pics should be in the gallery, labeled Big Desk 1-6, I think.

When my friend laser leveled for the benches, he adjusted each and every height to line it up. Every single bench.
    As far as having him join, he was the first of the charter faithful in ISSFA to drop out. He has been discouraged not just by the associatioon, but the solid surface indistry in general. If I ever get the chance to get you two together, you will have quite an eye-opening experience.

Tom

Tom M
    He doesn’t have any solid surface tops in his showroom that are the standard 1 1/2″ thickness. He always shows a thicker, fancier edge. Good thinking, in my opinion.

Tom

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Tom,

MY NUMBER IS

714-393-5282 cell

I would love to talk with him.

Tom M
    Andy:
    When you move the benches, how do you keep the level the same if the floor is our of wack.

I’m sorry, I didn’t notice this sentence till now. His benches are fixed, but set apart with proper space for travel and access.

Tom

Tom M
    Oh, and Andy, I will ask him, and let you know.
    Ideally, I’d like to get you guys together in Fla., but I doubt he’d go.

Tom

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.