Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Gordon Shell

The Edge Goes to Eos

With the massive look of a stone fireplace and a raised stone wet bar, builder Jonathan Taylor of Quality Custom Builders in Statesboro, Georgia, needed a solid surface countertop that could hold its own, none of that wimpy half-inch stuff. The massive look of Eos was a perfect choice, especially the new natural stone-like colors. Acadia was used for the bar and main countertop, and Barrington for the island.

Chris Yaughn, a one-man shop at Yaughn Solid Surface in Statesboro, created the countertops and also does stone work. He has been working with Eos for six months, using a Festool Plunge Cut Saw. “At first I was leery of working with such a heavy material, but once you get a protocol and lay it out properly, it’s no problem. Builders like the thicker material.”

Chris, shown here getting some young help at a job site, took a sink cutout Eos pece from the project and used a chisel to create a chiseled-edge cutting board, a bonus gift for the homeowner that sits freestanding on the wet bar. “The homeowner loves it. I had wanted to try a chiseled edge, but didn’t want to bother building up and gluing half-inch solid and then tear it apart with a chisel.”

No fear of that happening with Eos, as Chris proved. As solid as a rock.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I saw that newsletter EOS sent and showed the counter Chris Yaughn made. Great job, it looks real nice. Did you do the entire kitchen or just the counters?

Daniel Stein

That’s awesome Chris. Congrats ! Cute helper to.

Chris Yaughn

Andy,

Just the tops. I stay as far away from cabs as I can , nowadays. Best thing about that job was the radiused (sp) ends on the island and the bar top. They were not in the original plan, and I suggested them. Wouldn’t look right woithout them. They also have some arched doorways so it was a good fit.

Tom M

Nice article, Chris.

NIce tops, too!

Jon Olson
    Chris nice job!. I’m a little disappointed you aren’t wearing your hat in the pic.

Chris,

Good job on the project.

A couple queston though is do you handle this by yourself or bring in help when needed? I am looking very serious into this and am planning on using the 2cm for vanities if we can get some sold, but I get scared of the weight issue. So was just curious what you have done to work around it.

Reuben

I love that chizel look, fits the overall design of the house too, awesome job !

Chris Yaughn

Reuben,

By parts:

INSTALLS: I need help on installs, but with the way hard and shiny is selling I always need help on istalls, so that isn’t really an issue. Local university with a COnstr. Mngmt. program.. What college kid doesn’t like a hundred bucks for 3 or 4 hours work?

RECEIVING: Material comes in. Before the forklift I would be REEAAAALLLL nice to the driver and he would help me slide it out of truck and into the pickup bed (sheet by sheet)

SHOP: If you can back the truck up to the work table, then just drag the top sheet onto the table. Yes, it is hard (at 5’6” #165 I can do it and I haven’t worked out since college) . Yes, it may scratch the sheet below it (I can sand cheaper than I can hire a helper just to unload).

LAYOUT: Much like a stone job. Trace the template pieces (I cut seams in the template on site) And cut lines with plunge saw (Festool ). Seam, edge and finish. If you have a sinks to do, I put it in before doing any seams that would make flipping the deck difficult.

MINDSET: At first I thought of the 3cm stuff as heavy SOlid Surface. That is a mistake. Now I think of it as light Stone. That does a better job of preparing you to move it around.

Chris

Chris Yaughn

Jon,

I took my hat off to put on the garb for our summer bible school program. The hat is now MIA. The backups that I have have yet to develop the character required of such a topping and as such are currently in the wash-dry-stretch-wash-dry-wash mode until they can show the necessary potential. Failing that, I may just have to grow up and look like an adult

Working on it.

chris

Tom M

The hat is now MIA

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!1111!!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Why would you throw that hat away? You must be married. At least it should have been sealed in the wife’s hope chest next to your college beer mug.

Chris Yaughn

Andy wrote

Why would you throw that hat away? You must be married. At least it should have been sealed in the wife’s hope chest next to your college beer mug.

Not thrown away, rather MIA. Went looking for it just could not locate it. It was actually the second generation anyway. The first is in the top of a closet, holes worn in it from washing and drying too many times.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.