Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Wayne

All…
    We have to do 50 solid surface restaurant tabletops (26″X31″) and am looking for a lighter substrate than mdf, part. bd., or plywood, that the pedistals can be screwed into.

When doing some work @ McDonalds we saw their new tabletops (made who knows where) with white bottomed substrates that were rather light and would hold a screw…anyone know what that could have been?

Thanks,
    …Wayne

Tom M

Tru Pan

is lighter than most MDF, but I don’t like the way it tends to separate at the surface. I doubt it would be an issue for your situation, Wayne.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I have noticed that some plywood is lighter than others. I would be concerned to screw into something with less structural strength than plywood but maybe something is out there.

I have some underlayment that is made out of corrugated plastic but wouldn’t work with the screw. The stuff is extremely light.

Have you considered just putting 3″ diameter plates under the top and use a large brass insert to hold the table bass. The brass inserts are extremely strong and would eliminate the need for a subtop all together. Your edge buildup would need to be a little wider than 1″ though to make the perimeter ridged. Just a thought.

you can also order Lightweight MDF..i think its called Ultralight or something like that…google it..if ya cant find it Monday Ill setcha up with the connection….

also maybe you just make the substrate not full on the bottom and make it 2″ bigger than the top of the base…still gonna hafta silcone it…just doens hafta be full substrate or as big..which will make it lighter
    Wayne

Ultralight mdf (~20% lighter than regular MDF) is what we’re doing (thanks Gene) as our supplier has it in stock.

All is good…Thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.