Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    KCWOOD

I had a customer call and ask if I could cut down her 4″ backsplash to 2 inches as they were going to put up ceramic tile backsplash. The color was Talus sandbar.

We had to cut 3 pieces one being 11’6″ long.  I first cut a 48″ piece and as I picked up the off-fall piece, it broke.  I thought that was strange. I then ripped the long piece and the good piece broke when I picked it up. I took the scrap and it would easily break, it was so brittle and fragile.

I had to seam the long piece back together. The splash got put back… but now I am worried, its been 5 years, the materiall has become very brittle, what does the next 5 years look like?

Norm Walters

Kelsey, was it more brittle than Avonite’s K3’s?

Wayne

Talus sandbar isn’t in Staron’s tempest series.

KCWOOD

Posted By Wayne on 12 Dec 2011 09:23 AM
    Talus sandbar isn’t in Staron’s tempest series.

I stand corrected wayne… it is the Talus series…  Tempest just came to mind..

Norm, yes… I can remember it was a dream to work with… done several jobs of it.  the properties have changed.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

That material shouldn’t shatter when dropped. Wonder what the deal is. Do you have a piece left over that Samsung could take a look at?

Len Smith

I’m wondering if the homeowner used one of those countertop electric Woks frequently…

KCWOOD

It didn’t seem to be site specific. It was all that way, even on a 4′ piece where the cookbooks were. No heat there.

Len Smith

yikes.

KCWOOD

Now you know why i am concerned with the deck!  Good thing is… the top almost looked brand new, so I’m pretty sure she doesn’t cook much and the acrylic sink was still perfect.  Hopefully it will keep just sitting there, perfect.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

You are having a string of bad luck countertops.

I know the warranty guy at Samsung if you want to send me a chunk, I could give it to him to test.

KCWOOD

Andy, the top looks good. Had I not taken the splash off, I never would have known this was happening.  I assume it is as strong as ever installed.  If something happens, I’ll deal with it then, but until then, looks great and the customer loves it!!

I just wanted to comment on what time has done to a product.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.