Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Fred Atwood

Anyone know where we can get a 42″ tall stainless leg to support half of a 60″ round granite top? One side of this round will be resting on the counter for support and the leg will be for the other side. I have found a couple online, but do not like the look of the foot portion. any help will be appreciated.

Fred

http://www.petermeier.com

The above company offers a quality line of table legs. Very strong and adjustable.

Sue Turner

Fred, you should try Doug Mockett http://www.mockett.com i think or do a search. They handel legs and all kinds of computer stuff.

William

Fred Atwood

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I have found a pretty good set up. I will wait until I get the product and have it installed and let you all know how things worked out.

Fred

Fred Atwood

OK…this has turned into one of those jobs you wish someone else had.

Customer did not link the legs at PM or Mocket. we found a table base that she did like and it looked like it would support the stone with no issues. The specs say it can support 2000lb. It has a round, weighted base, 3″ diameter upright and a cast “X” shape to fasten to the top.

So we order this table base at just over $300. After waiting two weeks, it is finally delivered. We open the boxes to find it has been packed in really cheap foam and the round base is beat up pretty bad. We call and they say they will “rush” us a new base.

Week and a half later the “rushed” replacement base comes in. This one has one small ding, but I decide I can work around it.

Now we have to put the thing together. There is a threaded rod that runs through the upright and connects the base to the “X”. Pretty normal for a table base set up. Problem is, the rod is just short enough to make it really tough to get the nut on the end once all parts are together. My partner and I work on it for about an hour and finally get the thing together.

Next day…send two guys out to install the 54″ granite round and the base. Guys go out to the job site and can not lift th round up high enough to sit on the base and the other top it is to be cantilevered from. We were told by our stone faber the round would weigh about 200lbs. After asking questions here on Fabnet, we went ahead and weighed it on a friends freight scale. Weighs is at 306.4lbs. Too much for two men to left.

Two days later….we try installing again. this time with 4 people on site. They are gone about as long as the install should take, so when they return to the shop I think the job must be done. NOPE! When they placed the top on the base, they noticed it was not standing square. One installer stands on the round base plate while the other pulls to get the upright aligned. SNAP…threaded rod breaks where welded to a square nut on the end. When the rod breaks, the “rushed” replacement round base gets banged up and scratched.

Today, I get out my old auto body work tools and work out the dents in the base. Use 100mic paper and swirl sand the base and upright to get rid of scratches. If you ever have a chance to swirl sand a 3″ diameter stainless pole with a 5″ RO sander….pass. After working on this for about half of the day, I finally get the base and upright looking good.

Not including the time spent asking questions here and writing this post, I figure I have about 20 to 25 man hours into this base and round top. It is still not installed yet.

We’ll try again in the morning.

Lessons learned:

1. When selling a customer a design element they have seen in some magazine, do your home work first to be sure you know how the project will be completed and charge accordingly.

2. Always have the stone fabricators install ALL pieces of the job

3. Never swirl sand with a RO sander, especially on a round pole…even if it means going out and buying a DA.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

WOW. Keep us posted.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.