Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Gerard

All, Do many of you fabricators do many Laminate / SS combo tops ? That is SS front edging and splash with laminate top surface? We seem to be seeing more and more of this here. We have done many and I find them very labor intensive. I have made my own parts and also purchased pre-fabbed parts at 90.00 per 1 1/2 ” strip + shipping . OUCH!

If any of you do this type do you make your own parts or purchase them? We also use E-6000 glue. Great glue but very hard to find here. Any other Ideas? David G.

Tom M

David,

Not so much with the splash, as we usually cove our backsplashes, but absolutely with the front edge.

If done right, it is quicker and easier than a laminate bevel edge, can be touched up more when needed, and the labor should offset most of the extra cost. Not as cheap as a self edge, to be sure, but better looking.

We used to use the Perma-edge W/A system, but since they no longer make ss edges, we had a shaper bit made to give us an 1/8″ key to line in with the countertop edge. We still use the 8215 to glue it up.

WE have done quite a bit of this and I agree it is labor intensive. We always make our own parts. We also use the e6000 glue. Good glue but man it takes forever to dry. We probly do it different than most.

We edge first then laminate then profile unlike bevel or gemlok where you laminate first then apply edging. Same basic princaple as our oak edge tops. Edge/laminate/profile.

Tom M

Travis,

So your laminate overlaps the join and you route through the lam and sol. surf. at the same time?

Tom

Yes Tom thats how we do it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.