Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Norm Walters

I have been using Speedtape (a peel and stick contact cement) for refacing cabs in existing houses, no smell, no mess, a bit pricey, but worth it in my opinion. Good for laminate repairs also.

http://www.fastcap.com/products.aspx?id=416

Thanks for that link Norm I will have to compare that to the PSA backed venners I use on reface jobs.
    This might work good for those little tiny end cap I wait to do until we get to the job to assure good fit.

Norm Walters

Reuben, I also use the PSA backed veneers when using wood doors for a reface, but when doing a reface with foil doors and VT laminate for the refacing material I use Speedtape. Sometimes on a reface, especially when you are trying to hit a price point, foil doors are the only viable option, plus it leaves them some money left over for a solid surface top

Norm Walters

Below are before and after pics of a reface I did with foil doors and a Staron top, 10K not including appliances, this was a referral from a realtor, the homeower couldn’t sell their house, it sold soon after.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Do you think you could use that in small pieces to hold backsplash on while the silicone dries?

Nice looking work Norm. Are the cabinet doors new or re-worked?

Johnny C

Norm Walters

Johnny, those are new doors, from Sahara Cabinets, where John Cristina is the solid surface production manager.

Andy, I wouldn’t use if for temporarily holding splashes, I like to have a second or so in case you have to adjust something, hot glue gives you that opportunity.

Ad-Tech, a company that sells glue guns (was at the expo) had an adhesive on a roll and recommended it for temporarily holding splashes and such, I told them the same thing, nice to have a second or so of wiggle room.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Think about why you need a second to adjust it. You put on the silicone and then the hot glue. You move like your pants are on fire cause the glue is gonna set.

If you use the tape you can take all the time you need. Stick the end in the corner and slowly push to the wall. The tape wouldn’t have to be on the entire splash, just in two to three spots.

Norm Walters

Andy, the Speedtape is too thin to do this, its almost like a film, although the adhesive on a roll that Ad-Tech was selling had some thickness to it. I think you should buy a roll and do a review for the Fabnet.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster
    Posted By Norm Walters on 03/11/2008 5:01 PM

Andy, the Speedtape is too thin to do this, its almost like a film, although the adhesive on a roll that Ad-Tech was selling had some thickness to it. I think you should buy a roll and do a review for the Fabnet.

Great idea Norm. Where do I get it?

Double stick tape is used for Swanstone shower wall installation. Works great as long as the drywall is painted before you try to stick the tape on the drywall mud..

Norm Walters

Andy, it is the same company that Kelsey did the glue gun review for, Ad Tech, Dave supplied that for the test I think??????????? Anyway they are the ones that showed me the tape at the expo.

http://www.thefabricatornetwork.com/Resources/CounterBlog/tabid/81/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/32/AdTech-Hot-Melt-Glue-Gun.aspx

Yes, it is Al.

As a rule in my business, we refuse to sell Made in China glue or any products made with communist slave labor for that matter. If I did, then I could not complain about close to $4.00 per gallon gas.

Norm Walters

Dave, as my son would say, “wow, that was random”

No Al, it’s reality. When I’m lied to and then find out country of origin, I’ll dump there a$$ if it’s Made in China.

Don’t you have a FEDSAW something or other to pimp ??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.