Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

I’m out to maeasure a job in Eastern Ct., out by UConn. Understand, I was a theater major in College, so being around same-sex couples is not at all irregular to me.

I could see that a designer laid out the plans that were faxed in, but clearly not an architectural, or kitchen designer. The keys were all wrong and the blocking looked like we were taught in set design. As I drove up the long, unfinished, windinhg drivewway, I started seeing signs making “naked construction” jokes. The welcome mat said: “Welcome, take off your clothes and come right in!”

Turns out they were drawn by one half of the couple, who was a set designer/decorator for the movie industry. Great concept and use of the space, interesting choices for color that I would never have come up with. We just finished the installation today, and tomorrow night they are having a party to celebrate the release of that new Decaprio, Damon, Nicholson movie “The Departed”. I must have spent more time talking to the guy about differences with theatrical set design versus movie set design, than talking countertops.

The lead installer on the job is one of the most conservative guys I know. These customers? not. so. much.
    I loved the stories he told after he got back. Good times, good times.

Tom M

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Don’t leave me hanging…

Tom M

When I measure or template a job, I always bring a digital camera. I also always ask permission from the customer if it is ok that I take some pics. If I sense a reluctance (some of the kitchens I nmeasuer are complete disasters) I joke that I hane not yet set up the blackmail page on my web site. These guys hear this and respond “Oh, we are blackmail proof.” and if you looked around their kitchen and saw the naked pics of they and their freinds, you’d see why.

I was very proud of my Fabricator for not rising to the bait of politics they evidently kept chumming with. Understand, though, that his wit as as sharp and painful as it is quick and clever. He could have skewered these guys easily, and left nothing but crumbs. He held his tongue as far as anything that might set the customer off, and I complimented him for checking fire.

He played the most vicious practical jokes on the other installer and helper on the site, however. While backing in the kitchen with the tops, he would wait until they were near a pic, or a “toy” that was left around, and ask the other guy to look left or right. I trust he was also ready to take the full weight of the tops, if the helper suddenly dropped his half. The fact that the job went as clean as it did, wasa testament to their craftmanship.

I can’t, or won’t tell you specifics, as this is a public forum, but when we finally get together for the First Annual Fab Forum Tailgate Party, I will buy you a round, and loosen the tongue.

Tom

Jason Waugh

Ahhhh, Famous 18, I’m glad to be known as a RED STATER!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Can’t wait.

Many wifey, ( a registered nurse) was working at a local community health center in the Sexual Transmitted Disease unit. One of the things some of the people under her had to do was to go out in the community and teach people about condom use. One thing they did not have was a “prop” to show them how to put the condoms on. No problem says wifey, Steve has a wood lathe and will make some lifelike “props” for us. My shop employees had a field day with this. Who was going to sand them and how were they going to sand them. Gotta go with the grain. How bout you put the sandpaper *** and sand them that way.

I made some from bubinga, maple, walnut, and also cherry. Got to use different colored woods to be politicaly correct. After a few months I had to make more because people kept stealing them. I still have a few of them in my desk drawer. It’s always a suprise when I open that drawer to get a business card for a salesman who is new to us.

Shane Barker

Hey Steve that could be your niche, they would probably be a great seller on the internet. It could keep your guys busy in the slow times. I think you should start a solid surface line as well.

Shane

Yeah, sure. Do you think I can get splinter liability insurance? A friend suggested attaching a row of them to a board and selling them as coatracks.

Tom M
    …and thus was born the inspiration of the “Monument” logo.
    Steve is currently enjoying his newest client, Jim Webb, who incororates the props into his newest stories.

Got to use different colored woods to be politicaly correct.
    That was brilliant!

They are upright like the monument, but do not look anything like it. I had to make them as anatomically correct as possible, short of hand carving. I could post a pic if anyone is interested.

Shane

Can you come up with a company name if I plan on selling these on the internet?

Norm Walters

Steve how about “Got Wood?”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.