Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

We had to scrap a vanity top because the sink and sheet were so different in color there was no way it would be acceptable to our customer. It looked a lot closer from the bottom, so my fabricator went ahead and glued it up.

We have fabbed tops from this manufacturer before, where the sink and deck colors were named the same and everything was fine. We try to route an edge that helps mask any color difference, but this was night and day different. The distributor rushed us another sink and that one turned out to be just as bad.

Why do they do this? Why name a sink color the same as a deck color if it isn’t a good match? How can I have faith that it won’t happen again? It is possible the whole batch was marked wrong and I brought that up to my rep, but what if it isn’t?

Do you guys have a policy of not using same colors when the sinks are from a different manufacturer?

Wayne

With white, we’re having the EXACT same problems around here too!

Just yesterday I was told by the mfr. that the acceptable tolerances are rated from high to low, say 1 to 5.
    So if a sheet falls in the high range, say 5, and a sink falls in the low range, say 1, both are okay to ship.
    When glued up the difference is unacceptable…frustrating.

…just my 2 cents…

Wayne

BTW…my problem is with the same sink and sheet mfr.

I did a Corian sink replacement the other day.  The deck was Glacier White and the bowl was glacier white.  After seaming the new sink into place and sanding the transition, I had to double check to see if the deck wasn’t actually Cameo white.  The customer accepted it as a die lot issue since they were manufactured more than ten years apart.  In the end, the color difference was a lot better than the cracked bowl they started with.

Johnny C
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We are a small shop so we always deal directly with the customers. We let them know it’s like trying to match a paint color and they do not, and will not match exactly.

We find it is better to let them know up front before I have to deal with trying to hide the difference with a bevel around the bowl.

We just did a cameo vanity with bright white bowls and it actually looks better than mismatched “Exact” colors.

Tom M

Why call it the same name if you don’t recommend the join?

I guess I should never sell a same color bowl when the sheet manufacturer outsources. Lesson learned.

Lenny E

Guys,

The sinks are rarely going the match the sheets even if it’s the same color from the same manufacturer, unless it is a happy accident.

It’s easier to get a Royal Flush in Vegas playing 5 card stud.

rappp

Posted By Lenny E on 25 May 2012 09:12 AM

Guys,

The sinks are rarely going the match the sheets even if it’s the same color from the same manufacturer, unless it is a happy accident.

It’s easier to get a Royal Flush in Vegas playing 5 card stud.

I totally agree, I’ve never seen such phenomena

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.