Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

My customer told me he was told by another contractor that this sink chip couldn’t be repaired with epoxy, because there was no way to keep the epoxy from running into the sink and therefore couldn’t be done. I’m glad that guy has never heard of Scotch tape, because it works great for me.

This is what I found when I arrived. The guy dropped a glass. His wife wasn’t happy.

I like to Dremel off the crud, sharpen the edge lines and cut a few slots to give the adhesive something to bite.

I put Scotch tape over the sticky part of the tape at the repair and stuck it proud of the chip. Using my Invicon kit, I light cured some color matching gold and black below the surface, then filled to over flush with clear.

I used the little block plane in the kit to shave the overfill to flush. If your patch isn’t coming out during planing, it probably isn’t coming out at all. I hit it with some 2400 and some 4000 on the felt pad and finished with Akimi Liqui Polish for granite on a paper towel, all by hand. The Akimi polishes the adhesive as glossy as granite.

Had I drug some of the gold into the black and some of the black into the gold, it would have been damn near perfect. Ah, live and learn.

Everytime I tried for a low level light shot, all I got was glare. This is the best I could do. The customer was very pleased.

This took about a half an hour.

Joe

Len Smith

Nice repair, Joe.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

On a repair like that, do you give your customer the price over the phone or is it by the hour once you get there.

Repair looks as good as new. If you didn’t know it, you would not know it was there.

Steve Mehan

Yeah Joe that does look good.
    Good question Andy.

Posted By Andy Graves on 20 Apr 2011 05:16 PM
    On a repair like that, do you give your customer the price over the phone or is it by the hour once you get there.

Repair looks as good as new. If you didn’t know it, you would not know it was there.

Andy:

Thanks. I can’t afford to bid work. If I can’t book you over the phone, you aren’t worth it to me. If my servicemagic testimonials have no value to you, we aren’t right for each other.

While we can’t discuss specific prices here, I can say that my vehicle won’t start unless you have between $200.00-$300.00 for three hours of my time, drive time included. Hourly after that (less than a hundred).

I’ve got the restaurant policy, if you don’t like the food you don’t pay. If you don’t like the repair, you don’t pay. I burn once every four years or so.

This particular guy would have paid more. He was so damn happy to have that chip go away, he damn near wet his pants. He gave me five stars on servicemagic (the highest possible) and said:

“Joe did a great job. The granite looks outstanding again. My wife is vey pleased… if she is happy than I am more than happy. Joe took his time and was very neat. I would highly recommend him for any granite repair.”

Joe

P.S.: If I ever get in any other business, I will ask myself “Does this business make women happy?” Because making women happy is the secret to life. We aren’t men, we are f#$%ing Labrador Retrievers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.