Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    QuartzoStone

How realiable will be for quartz surface in 12mm thick?
    Have anyone do a 12mm thick kitchen or counter top using quartz surface?

Posted By Quartzo on 03 Jul 2009 01:29 AM
    How realiable will be for quartz surface in 12mm thick?
    Have anyone do a 12mm thick kitchen or counter top using quartz surface?

Quartzo:

I did a quick conversion from millimeters to inches for us, which is 0.47244 or just under 1/2″. I didn’t know Silestone was availiable in “1/2”. What do they say?

I wouldn’t cantilever it without support, but set on dead-level cabinets, it should be fine, especially if you built up the edges.

Joe

Karl Crooks

If you are concerned about the counter cracking I can tell you that the 100’s of of cracks in Quartz that we have seen and repaired where NOT do to the thinkness of the counters.

Eli Polite

i saw a bunch of it at the silestone headquarters in Huston 2 years ago and was told it was ment more for wall cladding like showers and full height back splash im sure it could be given a mitered edge and used for a top i just cant imagine it would be that reliable

Karl Crooks

Posted By politefab on 05 Jul 2009 06:44 PM
    i saw a bunch of it at the silestone headquarters in Huston 2 years ago and was told it was ment more for wall cladding like showers and full height back splash im sure it could be given a mitered edge and used for a top i just cant imagine it would be that reliable

What makes you think that ?? I would think that if you did the fab / install it would be more than fine.

Brian Stone

If you use that material for a counter top I would do a mitered edge and then use some type of substrate. I think the original intention of the material was wall cladding.

I havent read the manual..but is full substrate a no-no..or can i use full substrate honeycomb so maybe it can go in boats and Rvs?

I asssume it would be easier to cut for us hand tool guys?

Ray Aleksic

I have spent the last 2 years traveling the European market and can say that the majoity of production from large fabrication shops is 12mm with a mitred edge for worktops. The speed of production and the use of color matched adhesives giving a near invisible seam make it an attractive fabrication method. In my opinion it is the way of the future, especially for commercial work. Just my 2 cents.

Karl Crooks

Posted By Ray Aleksic – Integra Adhesives on 07 Jul 2009 03:53 PM
    I have spent the last 2 years traveling the European market and can say that the majoity of production from large fabrication shops is 12mm with a mitred edge for worktops. The speed of production and the use of color matched adhesives giving a near invisible seam make it an attractive fabrication method. In my opinion it is the way of the future, especially for commercial work. Just my 2 cents.

I agree !!!

Karl, ray. have you looked underneath…do they full substrate 1/4 inch quartz?

would Honeycomb be ok for some applications?

race car trailers? I think the 1/4 inch quartz has more depth than the acystone SS SSv type stuff

but cool bright wild colors though

Karl Crooks

Posted By Gene McDonald on 08 Jul 2009 07:56 AM
    Karl, ray. have you looked underneath…do they full substrate 1/4 inch quartz?

would Honeycomb be ok for some applications?

race car trailers? I think the 1/4 inch quartz has more depth than the acystone SS SSv type stuff

but cool bright wild colors though

Yes Gene most all quartz installs have full substrate.

Brian Stone

I don’t know what would be wrong with using the honeycomb material for a substrate.

The only thing that would worry me about the top would be the possibility of the laminated edge getting rattled off in an environment like a mobile home or trailer.

Ray Aleksic

I have seen many different options for substrate on quartz and granite in Europe. Here are a few options that I have been seeing the most. Wood is not used.

#1-Aluminum cubes front and back glued directly to the Quartz 3-4″ Strips
    #2-U-Lite(Hard Foam)front and back 3-4″ strips
    #3 Quartz off cuts, strips front and back
    #4 Honeycomb full substrate

It seems like the European Fabrication methods are much further ahead then in North America, and I do not think it is just from technology. I think that they are open to change and looking for better options and techniques.

Ray

Thanx guys dats all I need to hear…I dont mind being the first to try it…but as long as someone else somewhere has done it and are doing it..Now let me go see if can sell some of this stuff to try out…

welp off I go tp racecars

Karl Crooks

Posted By Ray Aleksic – Integra Adhesives on 08 Jul 2009 11:08 AM
    I have seen many different options for substrate on quartz and granite in Europe. Here are a few options that I have been seeing the most. Wood is not used.

#1-Aluminum cubes front and back glued directly to the Quartz 3-4″ Strips
    #2-U-Lite(Hard Foam)front and back 3-4″ strips
    #3 Quartz off cuts, strips front and back
    #4 Honeycomb full substrate

It seems like the European Fabrication methods are much further ahead then in North America, and I do not think it is just from technology. I think that they are open to change and looking for better options and techniques.

Ray

Ray are you seeing the 3″-4″ wide front and back strips on 12MM decks ??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.