Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Hey everybody my name is Lyle and I’m a first timer here. We currently fabricate and install solid surface and laminate, and I’m very thankful to say that we are expanding our operation at the 1st of the year. I’ve been doing a lot of research about in house stone fabrication, and I think I’m going for it. I’m not having as much success as I’d like subbing it out. Im just hoping to hear some feedback from some experienced vets here! I’m 29, and I know I have much to learn. Any thoughts or advice? Thank you in advance!!! 

Lyle Applegate
    Applegate’s Custom Countertops 
    Hesperia, Ca. 

yes…I am not sure what you mean as far as Stone fab..I did, but im a hand fabricator..of course I got the swivel boom lift for my forklift and benches and portable bridge saw…but when its said and done..I can fab granite if i want to..

I would suggest you buy a slab of uba tuba for 300.00 get it shipped to you, and when the truck shows up starting calculating tools you’ll need, time, safety, wheel carts, etc.
            if you mess up the uba tuba..who cares..you used 300 bucks to get a first job experience…do your reception desk or shop bathrooms with it..
             I learnt that way with any new material to me…also I would only fab uba tuba now cause I learnt unless its a  specialty customer or falls into the package deal..it isnt worth it for me to fab it…but I now know I can fab the premuim stuff.
             UBa tuba is cheaper than Wilsonart HD formica…cracks me up how they made laminate to look like granite when the granite is cheaper in price..
    Sue Turner

Lyle good to see you on this forum.  The people here will give you straight answers to your questions and are more than willing to share their vast amount of knowledge with you.  You can learn a great deal here.

@ Bill hey good to see you on here as well! You should come pay me a visit. Hi Gene, thanks for the advice. By stone I mean granite quartz etc. I’ve been playing around with concrete as well for outdoor applications. I’ve been doing solid surface and laminate for 12 years, and I think it’s time to broaden my horizons. I cant seem to find a reliable sub that meets my standards. I’ve been speaking to a rep at Accuglide Saws. They have some great products for a start up granite production shop without spending a fortune. Did you ever sub out your granite?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I would do a search and read the forum. There is lots of great information on tooling, seaming and slab management equipment. Safety is a big concern when dealing with granite so be careful.

As far as starting a slab shop. Only start one if you have enough business to support one. It is difficult when you sub it out and the results are sub par. I appreciate the need to do it in house so I say go for it.

Andy thanks for the input. Safety is a big concern if mine. I’m going to invest in an accuglide tilting table, which allows one man to safely tilt a slab with ease. I have made a lot of contacts over the years, many of which would use me for their granite/quartz if I offered it direct. I will be able to be much more competitive in price as well, although I will never be the “$20 per sq. ft” guy doing pre-fab. If people only knew what they were getting huh? Thanks again!

Chris Yaughn

Lyle,

call me if you like 9126902498

I have gone from subbing out fab and doing installs, to bringing fabrication fully in house, to selling the CNC and subbing out fab and doing installs.

Biggest challenge is finding a fabricator you can trust , who speaks the same language as you.   And I don’t mean english, spanish etc…. but Countertops.  

When you break down the costs/risks, the possible earnings are NOT in the fab component of granite.   Unless you are very small volume or very large.    There is far less risk in the sales/template/install part of the cost.

I would suggest checking out the SFA website.  Those guys are more geared towards stone that the FabNet.

Lenny E

Why not start out by doing the sales and contracting a known reputable stone shop to do the fab, then you pick up the install.

Later acquire some tooling and do some small jobs, dip your toe in the pool, baby steps!

If it works out, go big time baby.

FYI, stone is declining over here in China, they are sick of it. Its been done for  a millenium (thousand of years or more) over here. SS rules over here, because it is hygenic. But in the US, with all those decor magazines and writers who wouldn’t know stone from laminate..they are pushing the stone. So that may make sense for you.

Baby steps..Like me..I bought some wheel guns (revolvers) then some semi auto pistols, Then some scoped bolt action sniper rifles, then some shotguns, then some semi auto military battle rifles and crates of ammo. Now I’m thinking about getting the full auto and destructive device license and import license. If it’s one thing I learned from China , it’s Baby steps! 
    Tom M

Chris, I did not know yo had sold the CNC. It wasn’t financially worth it for you?

Matt Kraft

Chris I’d like to hear more about your decision to sell the CNC too.

Matt

Chris thanks for the advice. I have a small operation. My starting goal will be around 3 granite kitchens per week. At that volume, I know I’ll be more profitable fabbing in house. With the set up I’m getting I will max out around 10 kitchens per week, so I plan on staying relatively small. I’ve gone over the numbers time and time again, sub vs in house, it just seems to make more sense for me in house. Worst case if this doesn’t work out I can sell my set up and take the hit. Im not borrowing any money so no obligation to anybody. Maybe we should all just move our operations to China and forget granite all together lol!!! And I just might call you to talk shop thank you for that offer.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

How many employees do you have to fabricate three kitchens a week?

Andy I currently have 4 guys, but I will have to hire a couple more. 3 a week is my goal, but it may take a while to get there. I need to test the waters, but at least ill have the capability to produce. Are you currently fabbing stone in house? How many guys do you have? Your shop looks very nice.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

No, I refuse to do stone myself. Life is too short to be lugging around 400 lb slabs of earth. We spent a lot of time and energy looking for the right company to hire to do our work. We like the fact that we have fixed cost and no outrageous insurance expenses. Not to mention the workers compensation claims we avoid.

Subing out will give you a few gray hairs but in the end it is well worth the trouble. You will have to be on top of every move they make until you mold them into the company you need. You will have to be there at the template, show up at their shop during fabrication and be at the site during installation. Correct every move they make and put everything in writing.

If you complain and point out things that need to be corrected when you have a check in hand, they will listen and make changes.

Either way is difficult so think ahead and don’t second guess yourself.

Either way is difficult that’s for sure. I have a lot to consider, but I look at it as an exciting new opportunity. I have tried many different fabricators, but up here in the high desert a good reliable granite sub is very hard to find. I can understand why you wouldn’t want do fab in house, it will be a messy set up. Thats great that you have found a good sub. I’m very grateful for this forum I will be a regular visitor. Thanks again!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.