Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    David Gerard

Hi Guys,  could anyone direct me to a resource for solid surface indented shampoo/soap shelf units?  My supplier has them but I need to buy 10 to get one..cough cough!   I have made them in the past but the labor exceeds the value sometimes.

Wayne

Top Notch, scroll down to middle of page…

http://www.topnotchproduct.com/bath.asp

David Gerard

thanks Wayne. I sent off for some pricing.

Norm Walters

David, I have just fabbed triangles with a notch in the back out of solid surface and hot glued and siliconed them in the corners. They are stronger than you would think. Dani gave me the idea.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Are you looking for ones that have the entire section routed lower or something like a starburst pattern?

Wayne

Norm,
    Are you using 1/2″ or 1/4″ when you silicone them into the corners?
    (No cleat beneath?)

Norm Walters

Wayne, 1/2″ no cleat, I did three of them in a shower where the woman had three young kids and the shelves are still there five years later.

Wayne

Thanks Norm,
    5 years with kids and still holding up. We’ll try your’s, and Dani’s, idea next time.
    We put cleats under our shower shelves and that really takes away from the look.
    Plus there’s more little nooks & crannies for mold to grow.
    …Thanx.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

You might try making the piece 1″ thick to give it a bit more surface area to hold.

I will be doing a corner shower next month that will have a 18″ x 18″ corner seat/foot rest.  I fully expect that this seat will at some point get stood on.

My plan is to make the seat from two pieces of 1/2″ material with 1/2″ spacer in between, held back 5/8″ from the two mounting edges.  this will allow me to hard seam a 1/2″ x 1/2″ cleat on the adjacent walls that will slip into a void between the top and bottom layer of the seat.  The front edge of the seat will have the appearance of being 1-1/2″ thick.  The seat will be siliconed into place over the cleats.
    Johnny C
    David Gerard

I guess Im makin it. I told the customer i could make it but its not cheap ….but it will match.
    thanks friends for all the help too.

David Gerard

I guess Im makin it. I told the customer i could make it but its not cheap ….but it will match.
    thanks friends for all the help too.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I am always afraid of making something that can physically hurt someone. What if they use the seat and it breaks, they fall to the floor in hurt their back, whose fault is that?

I would hate to get sued over some stupid seat.

That said, it sounds like it would hold solid for years.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.