Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Susan and I are currently in Collinsville, Ill. (in the middle of Flatland) for the SFA Mega workshop. Got here Wednesday to set up and these guys blew my mind with what they have accomplished. Locisticaly difficult for complete noobs to put on a trade show? Well, they were not held back by knowing how difficult it would be, and that is for sure. Northwood, CMS, and a slew of other CNCs, water jets, multiaxis stone saws, edge polishers and you name it were all up and running. Running for real because the SFA guys had set up a complete water recycling system out in the back lot that could process something like 150 gal a min. All piped around the perimeter of the space. Overhead cranes set up to supply the machines with slabs, you name it. Our little booth was next to the SFA booth, and across from the “cage” where you could get your hands on all sorts of ait and electric tools to polish, cut, grind, whatever you wanted.
    Off to breakfast, more later

Tom M

What kind of building is it in?

Oh, and good luck. Say Hi to Susan for me.

KCWOOD

Steve… do you mean it is not a show set up by all the union guys that charge $100 to plug in an extension cord, or $500 to move a skid from point a to b??

It is at the Gateway Convention Center here and they have the whole building. Place is normally used for multiple big weddings and stuff. No 3 phase power. No problem. Park a tractor trailer sized generator out back whis a huge air compressor and we are good to go. 10 x 10 booth is free to sponsors. I think maybe 300 for each additional 100 sq ft. NO unions, free electricty for us, free chairs and tables, free for our freight to our booth location.
    huge free dinner last night with a rock band later, and free beer.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

That is great so hear. Post some pictures if you get a chance. I like the fact it is in a location without unions.

For some reason I did not bring a camera. Look here.  http://s557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/GQBriggs-Bucket/SFA%20Mega%20Workshop/?albumview=slideshow
    Brian Briggs took these.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Great set of pictures. Thanks for posting and thanks to Brian for uploading to Photobucket.

Tom M

That’s quite a slide show!

Thank you for posting it.

Brian Stone

Yes, it was a great show. I was only able to make it Thursday afternoon and Friday but it was well worth it…especially if you’re looking for machinery. There’s not much better than actually getting to see the machines running.

I heard that the generator went through 22 gallons of diesel per hour….at idle.

Mark Meriaux

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 09 Oct 2010 08:25 AM

Steve… do you mean it is not a show set up by all the union guys that charge $100 to plug in an extension cord, or $500 to move a skid from point a to b??

Yup Kelsey,
    That was one of the many factors driving this show/workshop.  The SFA had consulted with many vendors to get feedback about all of the best/worst things about other industry trade shows.  Everything from the location, the logistics of elec/air/water, were considered so that all vendors were able to have actual working machines on site.

Finished stone countertops and cabinets were donated to the local Habitat for Humanity chapter after the show.

Next year is already being organized…..plan on attending!

Steve,

Thanks for the kind kudos on the workshop.  Let me clarify some of the items that went into setting up the workshop and what was accomplished.

– Water…the system that Matt Lansing (the man behind the curtain on this workshop) set up could handle 500+ gallons of water PER MINUTE!!!!  At one point during the workshop all SIX line machines and 2 of the CNCs were running at the same time.  NO PROBLEM for the water system.
    -We had to provide over 600 amps of 480 power for the machines.  This was handled by a 40 foot Kohler Semi Trailor Generator
    -Air compressor was rented.
    -3 Overhead cranes were erected for material handling
    -Over 40 slabs of material were cut by vendors with much of it going to local Habitat stores.
    -A container was delivered from Brazil for a demonstration on “Unloading Containers”.  7 Bundles of granite were unloaded by Global Granite of St. Louis.
    -“The Cage” had water and air setup so that tooling suppliers could show in real life that their product did what they said it did.  The cage was busy from show opening to show closing.

AND IT WAS ALL FREE TO FABRICATORS!!!!!  Just show up and learn, share and prosper.

Hope to see and meet some of you at the next one.
    Guy Robertson
    Robertson Manufacturing, Inc.
    Davenport, IA
    and a SFA Board of Director

Andy…..thanks for letting me share this on your website.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Not a problem Guy, anytime. Glad to hear things worked out so well. Sorry I couldn’t make it, I didn’t hear about it until someone posted here and was only a short time before the show. Maybe next time.

Bill Wolle

Guy,

That sounds like a phenominal show! I would imagine it was very well received by all that were there.

Free to fabricators and vendors got a free 10 x 10 booth…

How was the show financed? What you are describing has to have some pretty good costs.

Posted By William Wolle on 14 Oct 2010 07:32 AM

Guy,

That sounds like a phenominal show! I would imagine it was very well received by all that were there.

Free to fabricators and vendors got a free 10 x 10 booth…

How was the show financed? What you are describing has to have some pretty good costs.

I’m guessing that all fees were paid for by the Lounge at the hotel and the Country Bar.
    Sorte like by x many tubes of adhesive and get the gun for free.

Brian Stone

Posted By William Wolle on 14 Oct 2010 07:32 AM

Membership fees payed by fabricators and the sponsors of the SFA I would imagine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.