Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Anyone out there heard of Granite Shield granite sealer? It supposedly has a “lifetime warranty” and you never have to seal your stone tops again.

Anyone out there use it? What’s your experience with it?

Val

OM

Wade Stein

YES IT IS CALLED SOLID SURFACE. THATS THE BEST ANSWER I CAN COME UP WITH.

WADE[EMO]bigsmile.gif[/EMO]

Honestly I could not agree with you more! However, having said that we are still offering granite to our customers and quite frankly if they are going to buy granite countertops anyway I would rather them buy it from me and not my competition. So, I guess I still have to pose the sealer question..

Val

OM

Hey Gang,

I am hearing crickets chirping in this section. Aren’t any of you offering granite to your customers?

Are most of you only offering solid surface? Would love to know!

Val

OM

KCWOOD

What?? You can make things out of Granite besides tombstones??

Anyone have any info on that?? : )

Hey KC that’s a great idea!

Our last name is Graves….maybe we ought to get into the granite headstone business.

Val

OM

Norm Walters

Val, you might have something there, thinking:

DREADED MILL, FROM OUR GRAVES TO YOURS

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Classic Norm

While most sealers are worth about a year of abuse, and then need to be re-sealed(this is if granite dude seals them at all) a product called DRY TREAT has a 15 year bond to those granite tops. Made in Austraila of all places the Sydney Opera house is sealed with this. It works!!

http://www.drytreat.com

It’s expensive, but, it works on tile, porcelain, granite, pavers, etc…

We offer both Granite and Engineered Stone to our customers as well as Solid Surface.

I have found that the sealers vary depending on the porosity of the stone they are used on.
    Good examples would be Santa Cecelia (very light and particulated stone) requires much more sealer than an Absolute Black.

We have used a variety of sealers, the one we usually recommend StoneTech Bulletproof Stone Sealer.
    Their website says to expect to recoat in 3-5 years, but we always advise the customer to seal yearly, or whenever a glass of water leaves a semi-permanent ring on the countertop.

We always seal the tops for the customer before installation and because of the cost of some of the high quality sealers, we provide small bottles to the customer, so they don’t have to buy a quart of they don’t wish to.

Plus remember that a granite countertop is very different than ceramic tiles (or the Sydney Opera house) and sealers wear much faster on a surface that may be scrubbed daily.

-Dennis
    Spectrum Surfaces

That’s the problem Dennis, the word “scrub”. I get these customers who buy this acidic “cleaner” from the local mega home store without regard to what it does to the top. We sell $59.00 a gallon K-Bond sealer and $199.00 a gallon DRYTREAT sealer. Your choice. Never thought in the beginning we’d be selling more DRYTREAT than 59 dollar a gallon stuff. But once a customer uses it, it’s MAKE SURE IT’S IN STOCK or they’re beating your door down for it. Especially the outdoor kitchen guys. They have to have top notch sealer to deal with the UV rays…etc…

Matt Kraft

vagraves wrote

Hey KC that’s a great idea!

Our last name is Graves….maybe we ought to get into the granite headstone business.

Val

OM

Val,

We make thousands of tombstones per year out of cultured marble. You know the markers that sit in the ground that just get a metal plate stuck on them and a vase hole? Yep, we make about 40-50 per week. Cemeteries love em because they are lighter and less brittle than grantie. We like em because you get to make a 48″ x 18″ part and only 2″ around the edges need to be polished or look good……

Plus they bury them in the ground and then drive lawnmowers over them. No warranty. No service calls. Its great.

Matt, cultured marble tombstones? That, is very interesting and I can’t say that I’ve ever heard of them made that way. Sounds like a winner vs stone.

Tom M

FEDSAWDAVE wrote
    That’s the problem Dennis, the word “scrub”. I get these customers who buy this acidic “cleaner” from the local mega home store without regard to what it does to the top. We sell $59.00 a gallon K-Bond sealer and $199.00 a gallon DRYTREAT sealer. Your choice. Never thought in the beginning we’d be selling more DRYTREAT than 59 dollar a gallon stuff. But once a customer uses it, it’s MAKE SURE IT’S IN STOCK or they’re beating your door down for it. Especially the outdoor kitchen guys. They have to have top notch sealer to deal with the UV rays…etc…

Dave,

When you get a minute, would you give Tom a cxall at (860) 528-5667? Tell me it was about the sealer post. I am still curious about the diff. between your two sealers.

Thanks, in advance.

I have not only heard of The Garnite Sealer stuff, I get frickin’ emails weekly. It’s a program that you can buy into, and set up a business for resealing tops that have already been installed. I finally put them in my junk folder.

I will say this, though, now that granite is becoming commoditized, like Solid Surface in the 90’s, the industry should get on some kind of standards bandwagon. Either they all should be sealed, some, or none. Not “this guy sez this, that guy sez that” stuff.

Tom

Tom M

That should be “Granite Sheild”.

Gawd, got spelling and names wrong in the same post. Good way to start my first day here.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.