Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

My brother asked if anyone had a video of how to repair small scratches on solid surface.  We have a contractor that is needing to do some repairs and he wants to do them himself as opposed to paying us.  He could come over and we would give him quick training, but I think he wants to have something he can look at multiple times.

So, does anyone have or know of a video out there that will show this process?

Thanks in advance.

Chad Thomas

Dani had a video on his site that covered scratch repairs and the finishj process

You could try contacting him directly to see if it is what you’re looking for.

http://www.daniclamp.com/

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I do searches on solid surface on YouTube and have not seen any that would teach a person how to remove a scratch. If you find one, we can post it here for all to view.

KCWOOD

Sounds like you have a cheap contractor???  ASk him if he owns a $1000 Festool sanding system, if he doesn’t tell him he’s wasting his time…

KCWOOD

Posted By Andy Graves on 28 Feb 2011 02:09 PM
    I do searches on solid surface on YouTube and have not seen any that would teach a person how to remove a scratch. If you find one, we can post it here for all to view.

Why would we want to….?  We have spent money and our lives learning how to fix these problems.

The last person that ask me that, I just said, you don’t go over to the local chevy dealer and ask their certified mechanic how to fix your car for free do you…

Brian Stone

Posted By Guy Robertson on 28 Feb 2011 08:23 AM

My brother asked if anyone had a video of how to repair small scratches on solid surface.  We have a contractor that is needing to do some repairs and he wants to do them himself as opposed to paying us.  He could come over and we would give him quick training, but I think he wants to have something he can look at multiple times.

So, does anyone have or know of a video out there that will show this process?

Thanks in advance.

DuPont still sells care and maintenance kits. They come with a couple pads that are about 2″ x 2″, a 2oz bottle of SCI Corian Cleaner, a paper towel, and a little care and maintenance booklet.

What exactly is he looking to do? Remove one small scratch or refinish the entire top?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I would help a good customer out and teach them how to do it. If they were just and anonymous phone call, I would charge them for consultation or to remove the scratch.

There is a real benefit to educating you customer with free information.

Norm Walters

Achieving a matt finish shouldn’t be that hard, anything else isn’t going to be pretty.

Do you guys tell ur customers to sand out the scracth by hand or with a little sander from Home depot?

I tell my customers ya got use a sander and shared that on the HGTV site..hilarious how this other shop designer…said they are gonna ruin the top…good point..but do you really think a customer can sand out a scratch by hand and make it match the rest of us finishing the top?

I know that is an old sales pitch I useta use..dont worry about scratching customer just sand it out urself…wow they make it worse by hand..but the little ryobi sander that stays flat..my customers seemed to do a better finish….I gotta admit even I myself cant sand out a scratch by hand and make it look like  a festool high polish finish…matte yeah ok..but a true matte finish by hand sux..i still can see the hand scratches which are open to staining..but hey thats just my opinion

Brian Stone

Posted By Gene McDonald on 02 Mar 2011 12:48 PM

Do you guys tell ur customers to sand out the scracth by hand or with a little sander from Home depot?

The only thing that I would tell someone to try by hand (or that I would try by myself by hand) would be Scotch Brite. Anything that’s more aggressive is most likely going to leave a dip in the top unless you really know what you’re doing.

Guy –
    If your contractor doesn’t understand how to follow the simple steps to get a matte finish on solid surface then he doesn’t deserve to be called a contractor.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Once you touch a countertop with a hand scotchbrite, it is going to change the look.

Brian Stone

Posted By Andy Graves on 03 Mar 2011 10:16 AM

Once you touch a countertop with a hand scotchbrite, it is going to change the look.

I know. At least they’re not going to leave a big divot that needs to be repaired though.

Tom M

Does anyone have info on the grit rating for the scotch brite colors?

Tom:

Here you go.

Joe

Tom M

Thanks, Joe.
    That’s a good guide.

Only problem is, I need to see the comparison between Maroon and the green you get in the store.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.