Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steve Mehan

We recently finished a job where the customer fell in love with a hammered copper sink and bought it before they ever decided on a countertop.  They brought the sink to the shop and started to put samples next to it and decided corian sandalwood would do. 

They currently have a cast iron sink that hangs from the wall with no cabinetry below because of the location of a radiator and do not plan nor do they want to have it moved.
    They wanted an 8″ apron front to the top so I doubled up the material and made a drop edge, this is where I’m getting all my support do to the absence of a base cabinet.

Now they want to have a sloped drainboard in the top so I have decided to double up the entire area, so I have cut a matching piece to be glued up.

Afterwords I have cut and hot melted two wedges to give me the desired slope for my drainboard.

I then attatched a wide base to the bottom of the router so that I can rout the drainboard.

Afterwords they are going to have there carpenter make a faceframe and two doors  & perforated tin to hide the radiator.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

That looks excellent. Love what you did with the corner.

One inch thick front apron should give lots of strength. Did you use a corbel on the left hand side?

Looks like a cove, is that right?

Steve:

That looks great. How is the unit held in place?

Joe

Steve Mehan

Andy & Joe I glued up two pieces of 3/4″ as corbels and bolted them through the cabinetry on both sides of the top and along the back wall I used 3/4 x 3/4 angled aluminum the entire length of the top. On the sink I used 16 brass inserts and was still questioning what if they fill this sink with dishes and water so what I did was attatch a 1/2″ threaded rod to a base plate on the floor and then attatch another one between the two bowls of the sink painted them black and hide it bewteen the radiator panels.
    I left the job confident that sink isnt gonna fall or let go from that top at all.

Steve:

Dang, all that? All you needed was a stick and a shim. My buddy Kelsey showed me that one.

I wouldn’t have trusted the brass inserts either. That sink isn’t coming out even if the house falls down.

Thanks,

Joe

Really nice job, Steve.  I like your drainboard style.

Johnny C

KCWOOD

Steve.. from a design standpoint … do you think they would ever sell that house?

Great fabrication work! though!!!

Thanks for the kudos Kowboy!LMAO….

Steve Mehan

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 18 Apr 2011 08:14 PM
    Steve.. from a design standpoint … do you think they would ever sell that house?

Great fabrication work! though!!!

Thanks for the kudos Kowboy!LMAO….

Kelsey, Shame One You. Whats wrong with the design in your opinion?
    I’m sure the homeowner knows a little something about design. Shes been in corporate merchandising for 30 years the last 11 she has been Senior Vice President of Worldwide Merchandise Operations of Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation. Before that she spent 20 years as Senior Vice President of Merchandise Operations at Federated. Most folks know these companies for clothing but they also design home furnishings. Most recently she has taken a senior consulting job for a company you may know called carhartt. They are launching  a few new lines and in the process opening company stores.
    Answering your question on selling the house. They just moved up from NYC and do plan on retiring in the home. It’s an older home well over 150 years on the banks of the Battenkill river which borders NY & Vermont.
    I should have taken more pictures of the entire kitchen and posted them, it truely does all fall into place.

Kelsey, Thanks for the compliment.

David Jones

thanks for that steve ,1st class fabrication i have to say

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.