Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Got a customer who has gotten his hands on a new in box 854 S and wants us to replace a cracked one in his 18 year old top. Does any one have a template DuPont used to supply with the S mounts or a DXF file to cut one and info on the necessary bits.

All Points Countertop Inc.
    bhuntsberry@allpointscountertop.com

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Wow, I have never heard of that number before. You might try contacting Dupont, they will send it to you if they have it.

I think that the 854 was the double bowl with the integrated drain board on one side.  I don’t think that it was ever intended for an S mount (undermount).  I think that it was intended to be an A mount (Bevel mount).

It is not difficult to make your own bevel mount template from 3/4″ MDF.
    1.  Using the original sink as a pattern, run a flush bit around the sink to make a copy of the sink shape to a piece of 1/2″ MDF.
    2.  Use a 3/8″ rabbeting bit to undersize the MDF.  Then flush trim the MDF to the rabbet.  Now your pattern is 3?” smaller than the sink all around.
    3.  Cut a piece of 3/4″ MDF 7″ larger than the 1/2″ MDF.  Hot melt the sink shape MDF centered and straight onto the 3/4″ MDF.
    4.  Now you are going to use a 1/2″ template collar and a 1/4″ bit.  You need to run your router around your sink shape MDF.  Starting on a straight side of the pattern, set your depth so that the bit only cuts about 1/4″ deep.  Plunge slowly straight down into the 3/4″ MDF and cut all the way around the pattern as smoothly as possible.  Stop where you began and only make one pass.
    5.  Remove your pattern from the 3/4″ MDF and plunge a jig saw into the center of the 1/4″ kurf.
    6.  Flush trim the rough jigsaw cut off of both pieces and you will have a perfect male/female template set to use with a male/female bevel bit set with bearings.
    It works, Good luck.
    Johnny C
    Tom M

John, I think it was an A/S, but I might be wrong.

Charles, do you know if an 859 A/S works?

John is correct.
    The unit is designed for Bevel Mounting and it requires reasonable precision in the technique. Even using the supplied DuPont templates we would have problems so practice with a piece of MDF before going for real. The original template came with dedicated bevel cutters that matched the angle on the sink edge. There were also matched cutters to finish the integration on the surface but you may get away with hand finishing. Good luck!

John is correct.
    The unit is designed for Bevel Mounting and it requires reasonable precision in the technique. Even using the supplied DuPont templates we would have problems so practice with a piece of MDF before going for real. The original template came with dedicated bevel cutters that matched the angle on the sink edge. There were also matched cutters to finish the integration on the surface but you may get away with hand finishing. Good luck!

John is correct.

Oops! Sorry about the triple post. Blame the iPad. Tried to edit but without success!

Thanks John: You are right, A mount with a drain board. I will give this a shot after the Holidays. Guy’s been trying to get me to do this for a while.
    Bob Huntsberry

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.