Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Norm Walters

I know that this is common knowledge for most of the members on here, but if you look there are usually alot more visitors on here gathering information than members; that being said

When you change router bits you have to blow out the collet with compressed air. If you fail to do so the collet won’t “lock” the bit in. Once that bit spins within the collet, the collet is ruined, change it immmediately, tightening it more will not help.

P.S. Sorry for so many posts tonight, that’s what I get for drinking a 20oz. cappaccino at 9pm.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I had a recent problem with a collet for my Porter-Cable. The bit looked like it was bent but really it was just the collet. I happened to be buying a new bearing for my flush trim bit @ Wesley Tools and he said that it was probably the collet so I bought a few new ones. Changed it and fixed the problem. The bit is fine.

Due to a collet failure a few years back I have a triple waterfall bit with a 1/2″ shank that is bent on a 90 degree angle. It released the bit while I was using it, scary. My knees shaked everytime I fired up a router for a couple months. Moral of the story, get your routers checked every couple years. The bearings, which can lock up and thus effect the collet while in use, get worn from the dust.

paul Scott

A thread, in its context that drives me crazy. “My new router bit is chipping the cut”

“When’s the last time you changed your collet”

“Changed the collet?”

Yes, CHANGED THE COLLET! How old is you router?”

“2 or 3 years old.”

Nuff said.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

How often are you supposed to change a collet? I don’t know and I don’t know how you diagnose the wear.

KCWOOD

Andy,

It’s really about feel. Next time you tighten the collet, pay attention to how the new one seems to tighten slowly, you know it is tight, but you could take it a little more. If it is worn, you will not feel the gradual resistance, it will go from loose to tight, and you will feel it just stops and your wrenches will want to turn on the nuts. Ever have a bit slide down, and you knew it was tight?? Change it. Again, do you ever put a drop of oil on the outside of the collet and the inside of the shaft?? Bet not.

I used to use chapstic for that and then switched to a wax pencil, the same type we use as a nail hole filler. The wax attracts less dust.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.