Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Wade Stein

Can anybody give me some pointers and tips on cutting repair templates on my cnc. I would like to cut a male and female template out of 1/2” mdf is that thick enough?

Offset distance?

How much bigger than the repair?

Is it best to use a tapered bit or a straight bit?

Any thing else would be greatly appreciated.

Wade

Chris Yaughn

Wade,

I am sure the guys who have CNC’s will chime in, but from my cert seminars I remember that 1/2 or maybe 3/4 mdf should work. The offset is a standard bit size (maybe 1/4) and the bevel will come from the bits (readily available) used to cut the plug back to the template.

Good luck

Chris

Here is how we do it. We use sold surface scraps. The difference between the two pcs is just 1/4″. Takes about 10seconds to make. Just leave an onion skin on the pass of about .02 and then before breaking apart make a reference pt, just a line on both pcs that you try to line back up when the repair pcs are cut. The onion skin we use a 1/8″ round over bit to remove, it will not interfere since it is on the bottom where ther is no bearing riding when do the repair work. The ones that are expensive are only that way beacuse of what they put them on, they do last forever though.

John

Wade Stein

John,

Are you using a tapered bit if not do you make the piece a couple thousands smaller?

Wade

Yes,

we use the tapered bits, its the only way to go.

John

Wade,

If you want to make an investment and get a good set as well as the bevel bits, get them from Kevin Andreas. He makes his from phenolic, a little expensive but will last forever and they have many shapes so one set is good for a lot of different repairs. Here is the link. Plus, when you buy from him, and have any questions he is very helpful.

http://www.andreascustomdesign.com/

John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.