Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Russ Lee

Don Slocum was known as the father of solid surface for his part as one of the inventors of Corian. As he tells the story, the “lab” his team was given to use for research and development was basically a forgotten back room in one of the many old buildings DuPont owned in Buffalo. The objective was to create a better vanity top material. The team used an old Hobart bread mixer in their experiments.

I didn’t know Don well, but I did have the opportunity to interview him a few times for articles and once moderated a panel that included Slocum, Gil Ross of Avonite, Jean Tawaji, John Linder (former DuPont engineer) and one other person whose name escapes me at the moment. Don was always courteous and cheerful. The private conversations I had with him were far-ranging and eclectic.

At the time (roughly 10 years ago), I found it odd that the father of solid surface seemed pre-occupied with the notion that solid surface was lots more than just poly-unsaturated or acrylic resin and ATH fillers. He talked often about the possibility of using a wide range of fillers to give the product different characteristics, both aesthetic and functional. I particularly had a hard time visualizing solid surface that could only be cut with diamond tooling (virtually no solid surface fabricators were working with stone at the time). Don was adamant that our industry had not even begun to realize the potential uses for solid surface, and that the widely held definition of resin and ATH fillers was very limiting.

Don loved softball. He played on a World Series senior team and even had his own player card. His team would travel the country playing exhibition games. Whenever he talked about the sport his eyes would light up and his speech would become livelier.

Although he never really elaborated on the subject, Don intimated that his parting ways with DuPont was not particularly congenial. By the time I met him he was working in another industry – something to do with rubber polymers for the roofing industry, if I recall correctly. And, of course, he was on the cusp of a breakthrough in technology for that industry as well.

Don Slocum was a positive, out-going person with an easy smile and a wonderful sense of humor. He had the gift of making other people feel important and, although proud of his accomplishments, didn’t dwell on his successes.

He was one of my heroes.

His was a life well-lived.

I honor his memory.

Tom M

That was very nice, Russ. R.I.P. Mr. Slocum

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Well said Russ. Thanks for the article and thanks to Don and his team for a great product.

Gordon Doull

Russ –

Thanks so much for the eulogy on Don. His vision and tenacity will long be remembered through the legacy of products (and industries) he helped found.

All of my respect goes with him. I should be so lucky as to leave behind such a swath of innovation and recognition. Rest in Peace, Don.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.