Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Here is a job we just completed. Has a raised bar with cove splash and a seamed in sink.

Rather complicated trying to get all the different planes to line up exact, especially in the window.

Nice job Andy!!

I like when the cove splash tucks neatly under and behind the self edge of the raised bar.  Very neat and tidy.

Johnny C

Venio

Andy , did you used the cove router for the cove ?.

Steve Mehan

Yes Andy, that does look nice.

David Gerard

top shelf work right there!
    Andy, do you go out on those installs?

Tambura or volcanic ash? we do that color like….lots! love it! Timeless.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

It is Tambora.

Yes, I used the cove router on this countertop. We always do.

Thanks for the compliments,

Andy

Tom M

Did you cove the set back as well? that’s a really nice touch!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Posted By Tom M on 17 Jul 2013 07:21 AM

Did you cove the set back as well? that’s a really nice touch!

I am not sure what you are asking. Set back from what?

Steve , NY

Andy, I think he is talking about the end of the splash in the last picture. Is it coved ?  How do you do this ?   With the Betterly coving router ?   We do this as well just wondering if you have a faster way.

Tom M

What Steve NY said. In the last pic above, it looks like the set back splash is coved at the end as well as the face.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Ah, got it. Yes that end is coved as well. We set it up the same as the other splash. When trying to route with the cove router, you can only go so far. We use a grinding wheel on a drill to shape the rest. Then just sand as normal.

It’s takes some time and patience to get it looking good. Thankfully it’s just that one corner.

Only reason for that end being like that was because the customer wanted the edge to go through and we needed to cover the existing damage to the face of the upper cabinet. She wanted no cabinet repair at all. Turned out OK, but I was a little worried when making the template.

Steve , NY

The way we do it is run the splash all the way to the end, then clamp a straight edge on the back of the splash with the correct set back for a router and 3/4″ flush trim bit with a bottom bearing.  The bearing rides on the end of the top then over the deck till the router hits your straight edge from there it goes straight up to cut the end of the splash off,  you now have a 3/8″ cove and no glue lines.  Hardly any sanding.

Hope this makes sense.

Makes sense to me.  That is how I would recommend.

Johnny C

Tom M

That’s a good idea. i will have to try that.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We do that as well but really only works on thin backsplash. This end was over an 1 1/2″ so we had to go with plan ‘B’.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.