Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Byes

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with quartzite(metamorphic sandstone) and how to deal with it. We are soapstone fabricators in Colorado and have never had to deal with a product that needs sealing. We are trying to offer a lighter colored product to folks that don’t like the dark colors you get with soapstone. We bought a few slabs of quartzite to experiment with and have found out that it is about as porous a material as I’ve ever seen. We cant even lift a dry slab with the vacuum lifter. We have tried a couple of different “sealers” on it and this stone sucks it up like a sponge. I realize that a sealer is really for stain protection an impregnates rather than sealing, but I was wondering if anyone has found anything that truly seals the surface. My next experiment will probably be some kind of resin on the surface that we’ll buff to try and get rid of the “grainy” look that is left even after we use the impregnating sealers. Any input would be appreciated.

Kevin

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I don’t know alot about the product you are talking about, but I was curious why you don’t start working with a quartz product like Caesarstone or something like that. It would seem like you are already set up to do it.

Kevin Byes

Andy

The owner of our company is targeting products that few or no others in our region are doing. Soapstone and slate are our products and we’re pretty much known as the company to go to for these. Even our soapstone and slate supplier in Vermont uses pictures of our jobs in their web-site. The quartzite idea is just kind of a unique thing around here as most other companies are offering granite, marble, and other products such as Caesarstone.

Kevin

Joe Corlett

Kevin:

I’m not known on this site for my tact so let me apologize in advance. I’d want someone to be blunt with me, so I’ll be blunt with you.

The reason no one else is selling this porous stone is because it sucks as a countertop. Literally. Think about it. If you can’t get it to seal in the shop, what do you think is going to happen when Ms. Jones’s drunken husband knocks a red wine bottle over on it? That top is going to drink the wine and leave a permanent stain.

When all the Jone’s relatives and friends come over, is Ms. Jones going to blame her drunken husband for the stain spot? No, of course not. It’s the fault of those bad people who sold her the countertop.

I’ve had customers insist that candle wax etched engineered stone! People are nuts and you’re going to be attracting way more than your share of them with this line of products.

Your boss has a flawed marketing strategy. Different is not always better.

Welcome to the board,

Joe

Kevin Byes

Hey Joe

Thanks for the reply, and just to let you know, you and I are on the same page in this instance. In my opinion it is a bad business practice to have something you know, something that works, and a great product, then to turn around and try something foreign to you. Soapstone is basically impervious to heat, and I have yet to find anything that will stain it…so why ruin a reputation over a substandard product? Being the #1 shop grunt it fell to me and the guys to try and figure this stuff out, and to be honest I think the boss is about ready to pull the plug on this one(I hope so at least). Not being one that gives up easily(I’ve been referred to as stubborn and hard headed) I wanted to see if anyone had some experience with this stuff on this forum as I have just about run out of ideas. Oh…one more thing…for anyone else that tries to work on a porous product in a soapstone shop beware…the talc dust from the soapstone is nearly impossible to get out of pores.

Kevin

Gordon Shell

Joe,

Just an FYI, the chemicals in some scented candles will damage quartz surfaces, I have seen it in 2 different tops during my Zodiaq days. Glade Scented candles were identified as the problem in a couple of other states.

Tim Murphree

http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/debra3.htm

Acetone, benzene, tolulene, xlene???

Joe Corlett

Gordon:

Thanks for the tip, but I find it hard to believe.

In my case, the kids etched the Zodiaq with an overflowing battery charger plugged into the splash duplex recepticle and pushed a large candle in front of it to cover it up. Dad bought the story.

I took the candle back to the shop and tried every way under the sun to get an etch and couldn’t do it.

Joe

Tom M

(I’ve been referred to as stubborn and hard headed)

Well, you’re the only one here like that, I can assure you.

Wait, what are you all laughing aboout?

Welcome aboard, Kevin.

Tom

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.