Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I am curious if any of you have made tables with 3/4″ or the 2cm quartz material?  We have an opportunity to bid on some tables and wondered if you need to use a plywood subtop to attach the table base or can I attach it directly to the quartz?

Brian Stone

Posted By Andy on 31 Jan 2010 04:29 PM

I am curious if any of you have made tables with 3/4″ or the 2cm quartz material?  We have an opportunity to bid on some tables and wondered if you need to use a plywood subtop to attach the table base or can I attach it directly to the quartz?

It will depend on the structure that you’re attaching the quartz to.

KCWOOD

Posted By Brian_Stone on 01 Feb 2010 07:27 AM

Posted By Andy on 31 Jan 2010 04:29 PM

It will depend on the structure that you’re attaching the quartz to.

Of places I have been, and looked underneath the tables to see how they were attached.  I saw some that were loose…. they were mounted with just screws and anchors, but the ones I have seen using plywood as the sub-base… they all looked great.  It did look like they used epoxy to bind, and not silicone.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I was concerned without the plywood, it doesn’t seem that they would hold up with just 2cm quartz with an anchor.

Maybe if I hold plywood back from the edge a few inches and bevel the plywood, silicone to quartz and then attach the base, it should last for a long time.

Brian Stone

Posted By Andy on 01 Feb 2010 12:04 PM

I was concerned without the plywood, it doesn’t seem that they would hold up with just 2cm quartz with an anchor.

Maybe if I hold plywood back from the edge a few inches and bevel the plywood, silicone to quartz and then attach the base, it should last for a long time.

That’s what I would do. It’s probably not even necessary to bevel the plywood. I’d also paint the plywood either black or white depending on the color of the base.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Good call with the paint. They are doing a dark brown color, so I might get something that matches and all will look real nice.

Do you have any opinion of how much back from the edge it would need to be so you don’t see the plywood? I would like to make it a bit bigger than the base, but I am not sure I will have access to the exact base dimensions.

Brian Stone

I’d keep it at least 4″ back from the edge.

If you do that and the table is at 36″ and you’re eyes are at 5’6″ you have to be at least 10′ away before you can see the plywood.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Thanks for the infor Brian. That sounds like it should work perfect.

Wags

I have seen 1/2″ solid surface tables done the same way. We have done it with quartz a number of times, it works well and you don’t see the wood sub base.

Kevin Padden

Andy – IF you are laminating the outside edge to a build up of 4CM or more – I’d hold the plywood back from the stone AT LEAST 1/4 of an inch…. IF on the other hand, you are only doing a 2CM top – holding the plywood back 4 inches sounds good, but I’d go with only 2 inches, and make SURE that the guy using the screws that will be used to attach the base to the plywood (if you are NOT doing that part) will use ones that will NOT be longer than the thickness of the plywood – somebody else doing THAT part may not be thinking about that factor!!!

hope that helps……kevin

Ed Sautter

Is the edge a laminated edge. If so the underply would be recessed in anyways. I’ve seen alot of them like that and you really can’t see any ply at all.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Looks like we are going to do this job with a 4cm edge. I will hold the plywood back from the back of the edge lamination about a 1/4″

Thanks for the input,

Andy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.