Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Chris Yaughn

I am going Wed to assist on the first of several Quartz installs to hopefully learn enough to be able to add Quartz to our offerings. I met with a client today that will probably be our first sale, after we get up to speed. This of course leads to a new line of rookie questions, I appreciate any and all help.

1) Undermount Steel sinks ( I have yet to do one on SS) The client wants an equal bowl with an overhang. Any advice on the most popular make/model for this application? Any out there that have the divider set below the rim so that there is no “reveal”, anywhere around the rim?

2)The client has spoken with the local box store, she felt that she was limited on splash sizes by this, that or something else. I told her that the only limit was her budget. When I told her that we could do a full splash cab-to-counter, with cutouts for the electrical outlets and a radiussed taper on one end her eyes lit up. I don’t know if she can afford the price, or not. My questions is, on a CNC you guys can cut these radii pretty easy, right?? Any problems running electrical through the Quartz?

Thanks, I am sure there will be more.

Chris

Tom M

Chris,

Depending on local code, you may need to install an extension box, so there is protection for the wiring the moment it leaves the surface. This is not that hard to do.

Not sure what you mean by “divider set below the rim”. We like the Kindred and Elkay ELU series sinks. They seem pretty good for the money. It has been a long time since a customer had us expose the top of the flange. We almost always make the hole a bit smaller than the bowl size.

I don’t cut estone on our CNC, so I can’t help on that. Sorry.

Tom

Chris Yaughn

Tom,

At the point where the edge of the top crosses the divider (between the two bowls) this creates a right angle transition that seams like it would build up crud. I didn’t know if anybody had a bowl with the divider set down below the flange to eliminate this. I’ll check out the models you mentioned.

About the reveal type install, I am working with a lady now to try and help change her opinion about the countetop industry. Through the local box she thought she bought a coved splash, overhang under mount, gloss finish top. (ss job) What she got was a set on splash(marginal caulk job), a small reveal on the sink(looks pretty bad) and a matte finish. Not a happy camper, also happens to work in the specifying (sp) office of a big account in this part of the world. Gotta get her back on our good side.

Thanks

Chris

Joe Corlett

Chris:

This may help with your sink questions:

http://www.solidsurfacegeeks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=367&highlight=sink+rave

I cut my estone splash outlets on site with a grinder. It just isn’t that tough.

If you can get them cut ahead of time on a CNC, good on ya. But you better be damn sure of your cabinets being level, your top thickness and how much slop you’re allowing between tops and upper cabinets.

Jump right in, it’s only money,

Joe

Chris Yaughn

Joe,

You and the magazine inserts. After you mentioned the speed braces the other day I got to looking at the Fast Cap booklet. Turned in a quote today using nearly a grand worth of those thingss to hold up some ADA vanities.

As for the sinks, I looked through my Chemcore book ( and the Domain one just in case) and could not find the model name you mentioned. Do you remember what line it was from.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Gordon Shell

Chris,

I just put a package in the mail to you that will help you in your quartz journey, it should be to you in a couple of days. Can’t tell you what it is yet, just call me if you have questions when you get it.

Joe Corlett

Chris:

The line I like from Chemcore is C-Tech.

Joe

Chris Yaughn

Joe,

Thanks,

Gordon,

I think shipping HGH is like federal offense or something. You may want to be carefull. Not that I am saying that that avatar is not all natural.

Chris Yaughn

Joe,

Apparently I am blind, slow or both. I turned to C-tech and there of course is the model you mentioned. Gotta stop staying up so late.

Chris

Gordon Shell

sanitychaser wrote

Joe,

Thanks,

Gordon,

I think shipping HGH is like federal offense or something. You may want to be carefull. Not that I am saying that that avatar is not all natural.

No way Chris, I would never give up my HGH!

Chris Yaughn

I went on my first stone install today. Two 70 sq ft granite jobs.

Joe, you are dead on about cutting the outlets on site. I just did not realize that you can work stone (and presumably e-stone) the way you can with the metabo. Gotta get me one of those.

I knew conceptually that the stuff was heavy, but in real life it is much heavier.

I saw a sink today, oddly enough, that had the lowered divider that I was asking about. It was a Tasmin (I think), anybody ever heard of them?

Chris

Chris

Gordon Shell

I believe Kohler has a model called the Great divide or something similar.

Chris, Metabo, Makita, Flex…your choice but MAKE SURE you know where that warranty is going to be administered to within that one year period. Service after the sale. It’s all that matters.

Chris Yaughn

Gordon,

You sir, are awesome.

Thank you, with this much , errrrrrrrr…….. assistance I should be slinging quartz in no time.

Chris

Gordon Shell

Glad I could help, call me if you have any questions, I hacked up, oops I mean I fabbed quite a bit of Quartz during my Zodiaq training days.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.