Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Anyone using a power plane on solid surface?

We have been using one for years.  After talking with a local fabricator, he told me I was crazy using one for cleaning up the edge after trimming with a router.

I think it works prefect leaving a nice even edge that is much smoother than using a router.

Sue Turner

I’ve used a Porter Cable power plane with spirel cutter for over 20 years.  Would not do it any other way.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We used the spiral blade as well. Can’t seem to get it adjusted right since sharpening the blade. We have since used a Bosch plane with replaceable carbide blades.

We adhere to the principle that the fewer the number of tool changes and processes the more efficient we will be.

After we trim back the fascia lip we take what remains down with the Festo on vigorous mode, profile and finish sand.

Why would you need to use another cutting tool – the plane – when you’ve just used a router cutter. Better surely to change your router cutter so you get a cut that does not then need planing……?

Posted By Andy Graves on 14 Jun 2011 11:59 PM
    We used the spiral blade as well. Can’t seem to get it adjusted right since sharpening the blade. We have since used a Bosch plane with replaceable carbide blades.

Andy:

I’ve used a Porter Cable door plane on solid surface for years; it’s perfect for scribing tops to walls. I hot melt a scrap to the fence to get to the sharp part of the spiral bit when the used part dulls.

Joe

Jon Olson

I used to use a planner back in the 80’s  . I changed to a single flute bit and belt sander. I found that if the adjustment was off. It caused more problems than its worth. Now that we have a CNC that’s all out the window.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The trim bit will not make the edge and deck nice and even. The plane is not the easiest tool to use but I think it is smoother than the router bit.

Len Smith

Whenever possible, a v-grooved edge makes all that unnecessary. (I know…I have a firm grasp of the obvious….)

We use the festool planer on site and sometimes in the workshop it is a single blade spiral cutter and with the dust extraction its a killer.In the workshop we have a 6″ buzzer and spindle moulder with power feed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.