Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    KCWOOD

I really like the 690LR router, I use it all the time. However, does anyone have trouble with the switches going bad? I own four, and the last time I ordered one, I got 3 replacement switches, now I am out., 3 more gone bad. I guess i should order 2 more routers to have as spares. Any one else having this problem, or is it just the combination of wood and solid surface dust? KC

KC, sold a bunch of those routers, have heard nothing as it relates to the switches.No warranties, no sales on the switches. Are you running these on extension cords? And if you are, what type?

KCWOOD

No extension cords. I use these inverted about 75+% of the time. The switch seems to be covered, but it still gets dust you can’t blow out.

So it goes, just need to keep more spares……..

Clyde Kingry

Solid Surface dust can be the most contaminating substance for power tools short of dipping them in water. Can you not take them out of the tables, turn them right side up and use a needled air blower to give them a good cleaning once in a while?

I asked about the cords because I had a problem with smoked grinder motors and came to find out that each customer that had the problem, was using a 100′ cheap Low/Depot extension cord and that’s not real good for conducting electricity.

hey fedsaw dave I use cheapy depot cords and I have yet to have a problem. I figure it this way. Expensive or cheap my guys will leave them at the jobsite so I might as well buy the cheapies..

KCWOOD

Yeah ,

Done the blowing out, disassembly thing…. just doesn’t work over time. I think I’ll just look up the # of the switches and maybe pick up a couple more routers…..

Travis, the customers using the cheapy cords were actually using them in their shops. We sold them seriously heavy duty cords, backed them down to no more that 50′ and the problem was solved.

I do however understand your part about the guys leaving them in the field. I would buy the ones you do if that problem keeps happening

neil kelley

KC, Formally working for Porter-Cable Power Tools for 6 years testing new an existing tools, rarely had we experienced bad switches on the 690 1 1/2 hp router. Now that Porter Cable has recently been purchased by Dewalt maybe they have changed switch suppliers??? One suggestion that will reduce and may resolve your problems and increase the tools overall life is to blow out the tool by taking your air hose and blow it out through the breather vents every time your done using the tool. If you really want to go the extra mile open up the 690 tool casing once a month and give it a real good air hose cleaning. This will also help maintain the tools 1 1/2hp output which most never realize has decreased. What happens is based on the type of substrates you are working on, the fine particles / dust get inside the tool and create all kinds of failures and problems. Sorry for the long version, I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Glueman

neil kelley

KC, Sorry I guess I should of read all the comments!!! My Bad. Once again PC got bought out by Dewalt a couple of years ago maybe they changed switch suppliers?? I will say that although I never experienced 690 switch failures, switch failures on other tools is quite common with the trigger type tools. Glueman

Tim Wendt

Glueman, I think he has the 690LR which is 1 3/4hp but never the less, cleaning the tool out is something that most people I deal with just don’t take the time to do.

And you can bet that with Black &Decker moving most manufacturing to Mexico, something is going to be dumbed down…ALLEDGEDLY.

KCWOOD

I take pretty good care of my tools, I have taken the switches out to blow out, but that doesn’t work anymore. They do have the clear rubber dust shield over the switch, but since these are being run upside down alot, the dust has to be getting in from the inside. I even have the whole router enclosed in a dust hood, we are using these on MDF, and that dust is so fine… I know that is the culprit. Just the cost of doing business.

neil kelley

Great observation! I did not pick up on the 690LR model. This unit was not in existence when I was on board. The 690 router was a reliable unit. Let me ask does the 690LR look like the 690? Glueman

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.