Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Too many guys in the stone business don’t deserve the title of “Installer”. More appropriate would be “Plop and Runner” ‘cause that’s what they do. Plop the tops down and run out the door. Fortunately, adhering stainless steel sinks with polyester and wood shims, leaving appliance ends unfinished, not leaving enough appliance clearance and failing seams make work for me:

Big gobs of polyester supposedly hold the seam together. Right.

This is the completed seam. It’s a good color match but a proper repair would have required pulling the eight-foot long peninsula with sink, utilizing a Seam Phantom, reinstalling the top and reseaming. I was at three-quarters of a day as it was; they didn’t have the budget for that. The seam got gradually wider as it came from the wall. The plop-‘n-runners narrowed it as much as possible, but they quit when the farthest end of the peninsula was hanging ¾” more over the eight-foot run of cabinets than in the corner.

This is a photograph of a restaurant tabletop in Geneva, IL. It’s painted MDF, or should I say it’s flaking painted MDF. As the table gets wiped, the moisture swells the MDF and the paint pops off. Disgusting. As we traveled up route 59, from Joliet to West Chicago last weekend, we passed at least three granite shops. You guys have got some work to do.

Joe

sometimes it is the customer who is to blame there Joe…I mean they tirekicked the hellout of all the good fabricators and seen that ad on the side of the highway that said 17 bux a squre ft installed…well perfect example of CHEAP means expensive…you should follow these installers around and drop cards in their mailboxes saying ” excuse me, My name is Joe and I m and excellent countertop guy…when these dingbats leave and you inspect ur kitchen after you pull ur hair out and scream real loud so all the neighbors hear you …give me a call…

that is a funny post  Plop and run…and the polyester glob seam block…priceless picture

Posted By Gene McDonald on 27 Aug 2010 07:17 PM
    sometimes it is the customer who is to blame there Joe…I mean they tirekicked the hellout of all the good fabricators and seen that ad on the side of the highway that said 17 bux a squre ft installed…well perfect example of CHEAP means expensive…you should follow these installers around and drop cards in their mailboxes saying ” excuse me, My name is Joe and I m and excellent countertop guy…when these dingbats leave and you inspect ur kitchen after you pull ur hair out and scream real loud so all the neighbors hear you …give me a call…

that is a funny post  Plop and run…and the polyester glob seam block…priceless picture

Gene:

I would love to follow these guys around but I can’t. They’re out of business. If people could call their original fabricator to do repairs, I wouldn’t have much repair work. They can’t because the original fabricator is out of business. I’m hoping consumers see these kinds of posts and are able to connect the dots.

Joe

yeah I didn’t think of that..i just have people all the time tell me about much more expensive I am then others, and I meet them in places later on and they say I wish I would have went with you…I thought I saved 5 bux a square foot…but it the end…It cost me couple  hundred a square..cause they have to get new tops and thats that…hmmmm…I have a problem where i want to fix a top and the customer wont let me, they say it looks fine and I know it looks like crap…those grand opening parties suck because they dont hand out care and maintenance sheets to the catereres, and all the other people…beat the helloutof my tops and customer too busy to have me in their at night or during business hours…

I need the pictures, and worse now potential customers see that and go yuck…I hafta to get a system for customers that htye agree to Follow care and maintenance…kinda like we hafta CERTIFY customers..lol

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Are those really sticks holding up the sink. We just can’t get away with that type of stuff, not that we would if we could.

Posted By Andy Graves on 28 Aug 2010 01:16 PM
    Are those really sticks holding up the sink?

Andy:

Yes.

They were installed by the handyman the homeowner hired to prop up the sink several months ago. I removed them and installed a Sink Harness from Braxton Bragg. The attachments for the sink harness are designed to be installed before the sink goes in to get wire harness at a steep enough angle to grab the bowls. Since the sink was already in, I couldn’t get the attachments very high because the sink was in the way. I cut one of the sticks into blocking and installed it between the small sink and the harness to get enough tension for sink support.

Joe

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.