Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Matt Kraft

Measured a job yesterday for a cabinet shop we work with down the street. GC specified a transaction top and lower counter to match a soffit in the ceiling to be framed and built by the carpenters. Its a hospital renovation. The soffit was U shaped with 36″ returns on the ends, approx 32 feet long with a 17 foot bell curve in the middle that protruded about 5 feet. Cabinet shop guy was planning on plumb bobbing the entire thing and making a template on the floor to pull his pattern off of.

I offerred to Photo Top the thing, cut the solid surface and subtop and provide all shop drawings for him. Of course he was on board with this. I went there yesterday with him, we taped the targets to the ceiling and taped the vertical face of the soffit, setup probably took 15 minutes, shot about 95 photos, tore down. We were parking lot to parking lot in about 45-50 minutes. Got back in here this morning, did some CAD work, he has completed shop drawing, programmed and nested solid surface tops, and material ordered in about 18 hours from measure.

I love Photo Top. Have a feeling we will doing some more work for this GC. He was impressed.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Nice. Would love to see a few pictures of the project as your were doing the PhotoTop and then again after the tops go in.

Chris vt

Matt you said you shot about 95 photos,do you just dump them all into the program and let it process or do you select the pic’s that you want to use and go from there?

How long does it take for the program to process that many pic’s?

We use etemplate and have done some things similiar to what you did like projecting soffit radius’ down so the bar tops will match the soffit rads.Excellent systems I my opinion.

Matt Kraft

Chris,

Since this is one top only, it is batched as one huge lot of pictures. With 95 pictures, it probably takes about 15 minutes to process the template. Depends on how much RAM you have and how many other programs you have open. I only have 512RAM on my desktop, which is the minimum to run the software. The 2GB upgrade is laying right here on my desk, just haven’t got around to installing it……

You can probably make it run faster if you want to. I never close out anything before running it, since I need to get other work done most of the time. Occasionally, I will throw 6 or 8 kitchens in there at the end of day before I leave, maybe as much as 5-600 pictures. That takes awhile.

Tom M

Matt (OT),

Don’t forget to vote the name for the forum. The vote thread is over there. I was holding off on the tally ’till you got a chance.

I hope you had a nice weekend on the links.

Tom

Lenny E

Matt, thats Sweeeeet!

I have to admire fabricators embracing new and innovative technology. You guys are always re – defining the industry. Remember the old days when cardboard or stick templates were used by all? Those new templating systems are just so cool. You can go to the jobsite with some, email the info back to the shop who get to working on the top before the guy gets back from his daily batch of measures. The accuracy of those programs has increased and gotten better since thier intial introduction.

What are everyones fav templating system and why?. We have photo Top and E template on the table in the thread. Any others people wanna comment about (be it good or bad) ? . Id be fascinated to know.

B Rgds,

Lenny

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Lenny,

I started a new thread on templating, Check it out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.