Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Need some advice. Let’s say I need some personal protection in case there comes a time when I need to protect my family. What are the best guns to purchase, keeping in mind cost of gun, ammo cost and ease of use? Hand guns, rifles and shotguns and it doesn’t have to be for show or to impress anyone. Just looking for serviceable, low cost protection.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sue Turner

Close range 12 ga. shotgun-pump or semi auto.  Great for close quarters and will not go thru walls to other houses unless you use solid slugs, but then you have to aim.  You can use a 45 ACP pistol also but again you need to know how to shoot.  It has great knock down power but again not real good at going thru walls.

Short range (100 – 200) yards you would want a rifle.  You must decide if you want a semi auto – bolt action or lever action.  Cal. 5.56 – 223, 30/30 many more.  Get something you can handle and get ammo for.  I have a Ruger Mini 14 tactical in 556 (Nato) because if the Blue Helmets show up I can use their ammo against them.

One thing to remember Andy is in Ca. you can only have a 10 round clip and it cannot be a quick change, defeats the purpose of a fast fire weapon.

By the way a 22 cal. can be deadly in the right hands.

Lenny E

Andy,

William is right (correct as usual) . The venerable 12 gage rules in home protection. Its not good at far distances (which is actually good in communities where the houses are close).  Also, It (the pellets) spreads..as it travels, for those who may be the shakiest gun in the west.
    I suggest a Remington model 870 express 7 round capacity (6 in the tube, 1 in the chamber) with synthetic stock. maybe 400 bucks retail. I snagged one of those (5 shot capacity) 4 in the tube, 1 in the chamber, on sale at Wally World in Nevada for `120 bucks.They say I stold that gun! I  don’t care too much about capacity..because with a shotgun at close range (inside a home or on a home sized lot) call me Dr.  Lenny..Surgeon par excellant. I can remove limbs and body parts, with precision using  a shotgun. 
    I use a 00 buckshot  load because the houses are far apart in Texas, but you may want to drop down to shotgun  shells that are  #1 or #4 pellets so they don’t go screaming through your walls and nail you next door neighbor. But if you don’t like your neighbors, by all means go for the 00 buckshot.

BTW, I’m saving up for a Russian Saiga 12 gage..with a 20 round drum (like an AK shotgun)..figure 900-1000 bucks for that puppy.

Even though I like a big bad .45 auto and have 1, For a pistol, for you Andy, I recommend a revolver. Never jams, never fails to feed the shell. 38 special (cops use em) 6 shots . Surplus police models can be had for 150 bucks from SOG (Southern Ohio Guns)..they aint purty, but they get the J.O.B. done. (Get 2..one for each hand if you worry about capacity). Also pick up some speed loaders, you can pop 6 shots into a cylinder lickety split, as quick as you jam a mag in a .45. Get your concealed carry permit too (Easy to do in Texas, I don’t know how hard that is in Kali to get a concealed carry permit). I don’t have one of those revolvers  but I have shot them. They are Taurus revolvers (good make). They generally don’t give  crappy guns to cops. Know what I mean Verne?  

For a rifle (longer range) , pick up a mosin m44 (under 200 bucks, 5 shot magazine, bolt action rifle and shoots the 7.62 x 54 r cartridge..sans bayo so its Kali legal..or an M38 whic is the same rifle with no bayo) or a surplus mauser (I would go for the M 24/47….maybe 250 bucks..shoots an 8mm cartridge which, like the 7.62 x 54r can drop anything on the North American continent short of a polar bear, and some polar bears have dropped by them too if you are a good shot).

If you want a semi auto…the sks rules the roost! 10 shot fixed clip…legal in Kali, but you have to find one with the bayonet removed and no grenade launcher (if its from Yugoslavia) for it to be Kali legal. They just don’t let you Kali fellers have any fun do they?

They run about 300 bucks and Kali legal ones can be had from 350 or so if you can find them (rarer than hens teeth , those Kali legal ones are). Century arms has some AK’s for 400 bucks (10 round clips to be Kali legal).

I have a Chinese Kali legal sks (no bayo, no grenade launcher) that I bought in Kali from a fabnetter in July when I was there, in LA. I really like the sks (heck I have 7 of them, 3 yugoslavian ones, 2 from Albania, 1 from Romania and 1 from China). It shoots the same round as an AK (7.62 x 39 mm, like a US 30-30 cartridge) but is more accurate at a longer distance than an AK (real accurate out to 250 meters). If ya really want an SKS I will you sell you mine only because you are the ANDY! I like my Chinese sks, but I will part with it for you. (Don’t any of you other FABNET fellers be calling or emailing me about this. This Offer is only open to ANDY, because him and his family gave some bucks to Chris’s “help the kids” deal! ).

For long range work.. I suggest a Finn  mosin  (from Finland 200-300  some bucks) bolt action rifle (7.62 x 54 r..like a russian 30-06)….you can hit a basketball sized target repeatedly at 800 meters. That’s all you need Andy. That;s 8 football fields. I bet you can’t even see that far in Kali with the smog!  Yep, I have one of those too!  SOG has them for sale also. The Finns fought the Russians in WWII captured them rifles, and reworked them (barrels and all) floated the barrels etc., to make them very accurate. BTW, they kicked Russian Butt in WWII with those rifles. 

Now take yourself a safety and shooting course (VERY IMPORTANT). If ya have youngins around (Kids) Buy a lockbox (they have a 3 or 4 digit code you can type in and open them) to keep them shootin irons in.  They mount under the bed and all sorts of places. It keeps them lil curious rug rats from shooting themselves or someone else.

Join a range…go down there and practice! I cannot say this enough. If you wannna be good with a shootin iron I have 3 words of advice for ya….

1.) Practice,
    2.) Practice
    3.) Practice 

Practice at night, practice in the day, practice when it rains, snows etc. Know how to shoot in any kind of weather, if its cold or hot, if its noisy or quiet, dark or sunny!

They give tactical shooting courses too, but just buy a DVD, and practice at the range..practice walking forward and shooting, backing up and shooting, etc., etc. Its alot cheaper. Or hang out with me for a month or two, we be shooting free EVEryday when I’m back in Texas.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Good info.

Lenny,

How do I go about buying a gun from a private party?

Sue Turner

Andy, you live in Ca. You cannot buy a weapon from a privite party. You must go thru a Lic. Dealer. That means your Uncle in all its formes will have your information on hand so they can come get it when they deam it necessay.

You did not hear this from me but do you have any friends in Nv. or Az. They might be able to help you. Also go to some gun shows. You can check out some of the items you are looking for and see how they feel in your hands and get some idea of pricing. There is a gun show up here in Victorville Ca. this week end (Oct 27 – 28) at the Fairgrounds that I am going to. If you want to go I can print out a $1.00 off coupon for you. I plan on going Sat AM.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Can’t make it to Victortville but that is a good idea going to a gun show to check things out.

Lenny E

Andy,

You have to get the private party to ship the gun to an 01 dealer near you. They (the 01 dealer) charge you for making the transfer. It could be 15-50 bucks. My 01 guy only charges me 10 (but then its me, and its Texas).

I have a Federal Firearms License (03- collectors License) so I can ship directly to an 01 dealer out of state . I just give UPS a copy of my FFL.

Guns shows are great. That was a good tip William gave you! I don’t know about Kali, but in Texas you can buy a gun at a gunshow and walk right out with it.

I got my first AK at a gun show in Houston back in 08. I took my wife there because she had never seen a gunshow. You should have seen her eyes when she saw that massive expanse of tables loaded with guns! She said..”In China they don’t even let you see or touch the gun”.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

So I just need to find a dealer. I’ll look into it.

Thanks

Wags

Another part of owning a fire arm is the mental part. NEVER pull a weapon unless your prepared to use it. If you hesitate you could very well be a victum. A person needs to do serious soul searching, to see if they are capable of taking anothers life, it’s not an easy decision. For myself, my government had me shoot people I had nothing against (cept they were trying to shoot me), I have no problem pulling the trigger on anyone breaking into my home, or, threatening my family.

All the above information is right on. I would suggest you actually shoot a weapon before you purchase it. See how comfortable the weapon feels and what the recoil will be. The best weapon is the one your most comfortable with and will not have to think to use it. And, as others have said, practice. In a threat situation your adrenalin will be pumping and that is not the time to have to think where the safety is, or how to aim it.

I think its not only prudent, but, hopefully you will never need to use it and it becomes just a good investment in your peace of mind.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.