Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    chris

i have recently bid a few large commercial jobs that are calling for some paperstone.  Have worked on it before and prefer not to again. Anyone interested.

in what area..or how about i fab it up and you install it? Im in St. petersburg Florida though not sure..post the area more people might be interested

Tom M

I am in the New England area.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

What, you don’t like Paperstone and the fact it is impossible? You don’t like the way it sands? The fact the manual says sand a seam but don’t sand through the top layer or you will be screwed.

Paperstone is a tricky beast and it’s nothing like solid surface.

chris

Sorry, Im located in denver and the job is here.  Have done paperstone twice and as far as I’m concerned are local rep is a moron he can come do the fabrication himself, nothing he suggested worked, possibly even made it worse.  Yes try and hand sand a thin layer of paper evenly doesnt seem to work.

about 4 years ago when i was playing with paperstone i pointed out how their fabrciation manual doesnt match the right way to do it…then they sent those samples out to everyone in which you can scratch them with your fingernail..

I pretty much can do anything with it now..but cost me mucha bucks learning…I think many mFG’s  might benefit more if they had NO fab manual…this way us with experience in other materials could have figured it out faster..
                 The rep called me one time and argued with me after a wingnut memeber on here called the paperstone police on me because i was fabbing unorthodox.you need people to test and take their materials to the limits…remember Corian’s first manual???? look what can be done now..what if those wouldnt have tried…anyway..I never fab according to get a warranty anyway..You fab it right and thats that…i only call mfg if there is a werid belemish and I cant cut it out…but installation is on me..
                     Paperstone I can beltsand my seams now, but I only sell a ktichen of PS every 3 months if that…if you hate paperstone…dont even try Richlite..its thinner paper used..sorry I am not in denver buddy…the reps just sell materials..its up to us
    Steve Mehan

Weve been doing some paperstone jobs lately. I like the product. Its definitely not like solid surface. The jobs weve used it on the folks had originally wanted soapstone then decided for the paperstone. When a seam is needed we explain and show them a sample seam. We dress the seam like a soapstone seam and not try and sell it on being inconspicuous. Finish mostly oil but have also used wipe on poly. I also like the sheet sizes.

Tom M

The material needs to be real flat and level at the seam or it’s a no-go. That can be a problem if the phenolic did not cure well, or if the product had some warp when it was setting.

Gene, bless his heart, gave me some tips for my last job and that, plus what I learned at the seminar I went to got us through it, but there were times I was biting my nails.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.